Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    what is this? Electric Water Heater Switch?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

what is this? Electric Water Heater Switch?
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of jer711
posted
I have a propane leak somewhere in my system and on road in Florida Keys and cannot fix it easily or quickly right now. I would like to use electric to heat water. Is this the switch for the electric side of water heater? 1990 Barth 32' Regency.

~ 1990 - 32' Regency with 8.3 Cummins on Spartan Chassis ~

Posts: 67 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Member Since: 04-05-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
I think that switch turns on a 120V heater fan in the compartment by the water tank. On mine the actual fan plugs into an outlet under the couch that is controlled by that switch. I have a switch just like that mounted on the end of the kitchen cabinets that controls the heating element in the hot water heater.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Turn off the circuit breaker and then throw the switch. If it doesn't light up, then we have a match.

In my commercial Barth the switch you depict does control my 120v electric hot water heater.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
The RV water heaters were gas only. However, in some a heating element replaced the drain plug. I have also seen heating element placed inside the heat tube. So open it up and see if you have any electric cables in it. Keep in mind that if you have an electronic ignition you will also have wires running to the gas control module.

But I would doubt that you can heat with electricity.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jer711
posted Hide Post
Seems the switch above the door is the switch to the heater in the water compartment. Based upon what I have seen so far, I have no electric water heater option which is not good because I have developed a propane leak on the drive to Florida Keys. Idiot repairman I paid to look at it told me the tank was shot and needed to be replaced. Said he turned the valve off to "Save My Life". I am no expert, but not sure how the tank stops leaking after a valve is turned off when the valve is in-line. Based upon my view, not possible. The leak did stop, which tells me it is up the line somewhere. I know it was leaking because my tank went empty on the way down, and I though the gauge was bad, so I refilled, then at arriving at my destination, I could smell it and hear it. Just gotta make it home and will hopefully start to address this at that time. for now, it is bathhouse or cool showers until we get home!

~ 1990 - 32' Regency with 8.3 Cummins on Spartan Chassis ~

Posts: 67 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Member Since: 04-05-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/11
Picture of Wharf Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:
The RV water heaters were gas only. However, in some a heating element replaced the drain plug. I have also seen heating element placed inside the heat tube. So open it up and see if you have any electric cables in it. Keep in mind that if you have an electronic ignition you will also have wires running to the gas control module.

But I would doubt that you can heat with electricity.

My 86 Regency has a three way, LP, Elc. and a loop from the engines cooling system for while rolling down the road free hot water. Cool Smileror uhh Hot D'oh

I'm going to see that Grand Canyon......and I'm going to do it in style!

Posts: 52 | Location: Rockland Maine | Member Since: 07-03-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
Might I recommend a Hot Rod or Lightning Rod Electric Kit for your water heater. Helen & I did that years ago and since then we rarely use LP to heat water. That switch in the first photo with the pilot light on it probably operates the electric (110 VAC) engine block heater.

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.