Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Short DP Handling
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Short DP Handling
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
Picture of RainCatcher
posted
My significant other has read that shorter DP's don't handle that well since the weight hanging off the rear wheels is fixed by the length of the motor and trans. This gives more leverage against the front axle making the rig fell "light" up front and more prone to moving around.

Do those of you with Barth 30' Breakaways experience find this to be true?

Thanks for any feed back on this topic.

Posts: 206 | Location: Seattle | Member Since: 04-22-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
I'm not buying that rationale as it is dependent upon many other factors like, * age and suspension wear, * how much does the engine/trans weigh, * how much weight is front biased (like generator), * what type of suspension does it have, * tire ply, etc.

What is noticeable is how much better a long wheelbase tracks, how much better heavier vehicles are in cross winds and buffeting and how much better a tag axle stabilizes the rig (in my experiences). As weight and a tag are variables that play into length, it feeds the perception that the shorter rig is tail happy. As a rule they're very well balanced by the factory.

Remember the VW camper, it's a pusher. I've raced a Porsche (German for pusher Wink) and it handled just fine even without the genny up front.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
I have a 30' Breakaway DP that handles just fine.
Thats now, but before I had the front end completely rebuilt(tie rods,etc.)the steering was a tad bit squirrelly. Bottom line, a tight front end a good alignment and a good set of tires and you will think you're driving a Lexis...........

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the weight out back causes polar inertia. the more weight relitive to overall weight the more effect it has, tight suspension and steering and no sudden movement of the steering wheel and it is liveable. the motor in back of that porshe caused problems- compare it to a 94 rx-7 or some other well balanced car with limited overhang and you will see the difference. I have a breakaway and added caster along with double shocks and like it better, and with 225 low profile tires it will get even better. but- it was acceptable as purchased but the shorter wheelbase is more prone to wandering and porpising. BTW i have a super seven clone for spirited driving (no overhang here).

Posts: 82 | Location: golden valley, az | Member Since: 02-05-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've raced MGBs, a BMW M-3 (with nearly exact 50/50 balance) and Porsche (also had a number of Corvettes, but not for the track). All are very capable handling cars, but must be driven around their design. The front engine, rear drive cars over-steer and can get tail happy whereas the rear drive cars tend to under-steer. Both concepts can be incredibly potent in the hands of a good driver. I too prefer front engine cars for performance, but the ability to steer with the throttle on a rear engine car is very confidence building. Ferrari, Maserati, Porsche, Bugatti, Noble, Radical, Audi R-8 are all modern examples.

Unless someone is building a race Barth, this is all rather overkill, but a well sorted shorter diesel pusher is nothing to be afraid of as testified to by several owners here.

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Prior to Barth II I also had a 30' Breakaway. I never complained about it's handling. The present 33' Barth does handle a bit smoother, but I attribute that to the longer wheel base AND the increase to the 22.5" from 19.5" tires. Funny though, it seems the motor/trans/bedroom overhang and the front/gen set overhang on Barth I and II are about the same on both.
On the other hand, I just drove a 34' SOB diesel pusher back from Florida and it was a little rough and bouncy. Our 33' Breakaway handles MUCH better than that one did...

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Soooo many variables...
wheelbase, weight of engine, type/condition of suspension, type/profile/inflation of tires etc. etc.
From looking at specs, I have reason to presume that my 30' Breakaway would handle better than a 28' in crosswinds and other challenging situations. That may or may not be a valid assumption. I do know that the handling and stability of my couch was significantly improved when my mechanic discovered and corrected loose mounting of steering gear to frame.
Corey mentioned front engined, rear engined and mid engined automobiles. I am not aware of a mid engined motorhome unless the BMW powered Michigan made VIXEN was.

We have posted numerous MH in the Overhang Hall of Shame. Excessive rear overhang and resulting imbalance or weight bias is not exclusive to DP coaches. Regardless of engine placement, a motorhome MIGHT handle TERRIBLY. Regardless of engine placement, a motohome CAN handle SAFELY.

As I wrote the above, I was thinking of HANDLING. It is quite another thing (albeit related) to compare the RIDE quality of coaches. I suspect that both were improved in the coach I now have when Dr. Yale retrofitted it with air suspension.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Corey mentioned front engined, rear engined and mid engined automobiles. I am not aware of a mid engined motorhome unless the BMW powered Michigan made VIXEN was.

Actually, there are some mid engined Class As lurking about out there. Seems the desire to build a semi-pusher toy box is the motivation. Back in the day there were some funky mid engine buses. Perhaps Brill if memory serves.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually, there are some mid engined Class As lurking about out there

http://www.spartanchassis.com/rv/rv.asp

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 28 ft SOB gas and could not stand to drive it on any road. I now have a 30 ft Breakaway and have had no problems. I am not even fatigued after 3 hours. As far as the steering being "lite" it is like the old 70's and 80's GM power steering vs a Ford. Cross winds and passing semi are not a problem.
Wayne
1993 Breakaway
Port Orang fl

Posts: 189 | Location: South Daytona Fl | Member Since: 07-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I've put about 80K miles on my Breakaway; if any model should have handling problems, the 28' with its 146" WB (2" longer than my 19' 1 T van) should.

It doesn't. Like any vehicle with disproportionate rear weight bias, the steering goes from light understeer to slight oversteer. It's easy to get used to.

I've driven in crosswinds with gusts to 45 mph - I get a nudge. The biggest clue to strong crosswinds is the noise.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Actually, there are some mid engined Class As lurking about out there

http://www.spartanchassis.com/rv/rv.asp

Thanks, Lee.
The one in the middle is a fascinating middy.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RainCatcher
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your input. It helped put my wife at ease with this issue.

Newbie in Seattle.

Posts: 206 | Location: Seattle | Member Since: 04-22-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
That Middie looks like a nightmare to work on. I'd rather have a back door that opened to the engine like a regular DP than have a deisel engine under the floor. Just sayin'

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Open the rear door on mine and you're looking at the radiator. My engine's under the bed - not quite the floor - and it's easy to work on.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post