Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Air bag pressure?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Air bag pressure?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
I have air bags on the rear of the 30' Breakaway. These are air assist not air suspension and they are inflated by Shrader valves mounted on the hitch assembly. Does anyone know of the proper inflation pressure? I have no listing for this in the manual or information that I got with the Barth. Bags appear in good shape but one was completely deflated which is not good! The other had about 40 lbs.

------------------
Ed
94 Breakaway

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put 60 psi in the rear bags of my '88 28' and it seems to work.

------------------
Gary & Edie
North Idaho
1988 28' P-30 454

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 1977 34 has auto-fill bags and they too fill to 60 PSI. Works quite well for me.

Posts: 19 | Location: Bonners Ferry, Idaho, U.S.A. | Member Since: 12-23-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
I also have those bags in the rear -- problem is that they are flat - won't hold air -- where do i get replacements ?

------------------
Russell and Donna
1988 33' Barth Regal
Gibson Exhaust, Bilsteins, ipd sway bar

Posts: 136 | Location: overland park,ks,usa | Member Since: 08-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
KC..Do you have a "tag Axle"???

"THE TOY" 88 33' Regal SE Coach #3448

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes - I have a tag and the bags I believe they r in the tag springs. Its in storage so I can't verify

------------------
Russell and Donna
1988 33' Barth Regal

[This message has been edited by kc_rusty (edited February 02, 2006).]

Posts: 136 | Location: overland park,ks,usa | Member Since: 08-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Short explanation. Bags are available to replace. When you turn on your ignition (1st notch) you should hear an air compressor start. This is air to the rear bags. Just above and to the left of your left knee should be a set of gages that control the desired pressure. When you can check this out you can research some older posts/I'll send you some additional info. Bill H is the expert on this......till it gets warmer

"THE TOY" 88 33' Regal SE Coach #3448

[This message has been edited by carlflack (edited February 02, 2006).]

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for your responses. I plan to install an adjustable "auto fill" for these now that I know they are there. Found one of the brackets with a bad crack and welded it, the bag had shifted and was rubbing on the brake caliper rubber line.

------------------
Ed
94 30' Breakaway side entry
230 Cummins, Alison 6 speed
Sparton chassis

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having a senior monent..... I have the two guages to the left of my knee and they seem to be working, I guess.. however I also have the valves on the rear bumper apron... I must have two sets of bags in the rear.. Now I gotta go look... The front bags are manual - as I replaced them last summer.

------------------
Russell and Donna
1988 33' Barth Regal

[This message has been edited by kc_rusty (edited February 04, 2006).]

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Russell - FWIW , my '90 Regal with tag axle has the tag axle air bags filled by an installed compressor. The guages by my left knee indicate their status.

My rear driving axle has Firestone Ride-Rite air bags that are filled manually from Schrader valves on the rear apron.

Sounds like you have the same setup.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're correct - thats the setup of mine -- the firestone bags are the ones with holes in them.. I there a major issue with replacing those units ?

------------------
Russell and Donna
1988 33' Barth Regal

[This message has been edited by kc_rusty (edited February 05, 2006).]

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Russ, I'm no expert, I haven't had problems, but the Firestone setup is an aftermarket kit, probably designed for DIY installation. Once you have the correct replacement bags it's probably straightforward. A Google search for "Firestone Ride-Rite" should lead you to some good info.

[This message has been edited by olroy (edited February 05, 2006).]

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post