Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Fuel Filler Pipe and Hose
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Fuel Filler Pipe and Hose
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/13
Picture of Tonka
posted Hide Post
I’ve topped off the Monarch’s tank a grand total of three times since we got her last fall.
First time at a truck stop in Corbin; inserted the high capacity commercial diesel nozzle in the fuel filler; attentively pulled and held the handle, eventually at almost full throttle; when the nozzle clicked full, paid the nice lady for 50 gallons of diesel and motored over to Wal-Mart.
Second time at 3:00 am at a truck stop somewhere in Iowa; prepaid a sleepy cashier for about 50 gallons; added Howe’s Diesel Treat Anti-Gel; inserted the high capacity nozzle; confidently pulled the handle and blinked in startled amazement as fuel almost instantaneously erupted back out the filler; used half a roll of paper towel for a clean-up on aisle 4; changed sweatshirt, wiped off boots, washed up and after a few hours sleep got to enjoy the scent of diesel for the rest of the morning.
Third time at a truck stop on the way to storage; inserted the high volume nozzle; stood well out of the line-of-fire; focused and cautiously metered 50 gallons of diesel while very patiently sharing some quiet time with our new Barth.
I think I got away with it the first time because the Barth was stopped nose down on a fueling station with a pretty steep slope.
Lesson learned but after talking with Corey and reading this post, I know if I ever forget the Barth will continue to remind me. I also now know to keep an eye on the fuel filler hose and connection and wonder how much our 100 gallon tank really holds.

Thanks,
Wally

Posts: 249 | Location: Minnetonka, MN | Member Since: 01-30-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Wally, do you have an elbow connection from the filler hose to the tank?
All the way home from Phoenix, I never had the fuel spit up on me. I try to listen for the change in pitch (higher) when fuel is choking off the free air within the hose. Of course, that can be very difficult when there is ambient noise unless one's face is uncomfortably intimate with the mouth of the beast.
In any event, I sure hope the shop I am going to in the morning will be able to salvage, filter and reintroduce the fuel they will need to drain so as to replace/splice the rotted filler hose.(sorry for the awful, rambling sentences).

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
The fuel filler on ours is too small for the high volume pump nozzle. Have to find an accessible pump with the smaller nozzle, which is not always easy when we have the Tracker hooked up. You can always tell when your getting close to full when the loud whistling noise changes in pitch.
Forgot the filler cap at a fuel stop north of Nashville on the way back from Phoenix a couple of weeks ago and didn't find that out until the next fill up in Ohio! Drat!

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
With the Barth, I actually considered installing a smaller aux tank in the bay closest to the tank with a transfer pump to do the topping off. Then I could do the fast half fill, fill the aux tank and slowly pump it into the main. It would also allow taking advantage of lower fuel prices.

A seperate subject, but I read on another forum about a guy adding a separate tank for the generator as you are allowed to run the cheaper aggi diesel (no road tax). There may be a tipping point on cost to consider this these days.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
My Breakaway is 60 gallon capacity, as I believe all Breakaways are unless custom ordered or later changed. If the tank is assume to be full at the first or maybe second click, even if completely empty, there can be another 15-20 gallons that can be added before it is completely filled. It takes a long time!

One of the reason I investigated the filling problem was because I could NOT fill the tank completely unless I took a good 20-30 minutes to patiently and slowly add fuel. With the fuel fill at the middle of the tank, as soon as fuel is over that level, you will have standing fuel in the hose. As all of us diesel guys know,diesel fuel foams as it is being filled. You have to let the foam subside before you can add more. On mine, I could only get 30-40 gallons added before the shut off would trigger and then if I stayed at it, I could add another 10-20 gallons but it took a long time.

On my Breakaway, there was room to get the fuel filler hose between the frame and body and when I found the top filler opening, shortened the hose (which helped also) and made a better straight shot from the filler to the tank. It still will click too early but at least now I can only add another 5-8 gallons before I have standing fuel in the neck of the filler pipe. I do not fill to this point if I know I will not drive the coach as the tank label clearly says not to fill over 90% of capacity. If filled completely and left standing, it will overflow with expansion.

The re-arrangement of the filler also eliminated standing fuel in the filler hose. As soon as a gallon is used, there is not fuel in the filler pipe.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Ed.
I may have the same problem and did not realize it. I had thought that I was not getting your described fuel choke-off in as much as I do not have an elbow where the fuel enters the steel tank. In as much as Mrs. Yale had left word to be sure and refill by 400 miles, I accepted that the effective capacity was only 40 gal. She did not leave word to introduce the last (additional) 20 gallons very slowly -- just get fuel @ 400 miles.

As I mentioned previously, the engine sputtered and died @ 410 miles near Effingham, IL 1/2 mile from the Pilot to which I was headed. After road service poured in about 2 gal, I had to crank-and-pause, crank-and- pause a few time before the engine started. The subsequent refill was almost exactly 40 gal. Perhaps I only had the illusion the tank was actually full.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Hi,
I read of the advisability of getting pipe bent to fit. I have also seen that "best practice" in the trade is that the radius of a curve be greater than 5x of the diameter of the pipe being bent. If I look at the 1.75" pipe, I'd have to 8.75" for a radius. But, I got 6" between the frame through which the pipe must go and the adjacent generator compartment.

I did find the the Gates and Goodyear product pages for fuel filler elbows:
http://www.goodyearep.com/prod...detail.aspx?id=10414
http://www.gates.com/australia...59&location_id=11312

Summit has Goodyear, Jegs has Gates.

I'm thinking of going with two Goodyear 90 degree elbows with a length of stainless or aluminized exhaust pipe.

A buddy warned me against using galvanized pipe. The chemicals could leach off and do things to the fuel or parts.

See you later!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 525 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post