Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Lettering on instrument panel
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Lettering on instrument panel
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com12/10
Picture of Gerald
posted
The lettering on my dash instrument panel(under the switches) is very hard to see during the daytime. I have scrubbed the heck out of them, which has made some improvement, but still hard to see. Has anyone tried to refurbish this lettering somehow?

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Posts: 227 | Location: Aberdeen, So. Dak. | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
Just needed to dig a little deeper! Found the post for the Scott Paint Stick from Johnson Plastic. The pictures where gone from the post. Wondering is black or white the color to use

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Posts: 227 | Location: Aberdeen, So. Dak. | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
I use a lacquer stick that I got from Brownells.

Lacquer Stik

I also used it on the switch panel over the door.

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jack... does this dry white?

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
I had the problem that I could not read mine at night. It wasn't untill I removed the dash that I found bulbs out that lit up the lettering. I added more lights behind my other switches and now can find the right switch at night. My dash is engraved thru the woodgrain plexieglass, I would not want to fill these with any kind of filler.

Doorman

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Somewhere I made a post about doing this on my former 88 Regal SE. I worked for an instrument
manufacturer during the early war years(after school). One of my jobs was to fill in the engraving on the bakelite tops. I used what was called an instrument makers crayon. When I tried to locate this crayon nobody seemed to know what it was. The folks at Johnson Co. sent me a WHITE stick and if you applied it and rubbed it off GENTLY, and let it dry, it worked. When I sold the Regal several years later the dash was still looking good..................

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
Carl..your post from 2006? was the one I read. Johnsons still make the paint stick. I assume that it didn't effect the light coming through at night? You also mentioned using an alcohol swab to clean up around the edges... would it be beneficial to use the swabs before applying also?
Thanks..appreciate the help.

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
My logic was to clean the surface and I had alcohol wipes on hand, my S/O was a diabetic (and it drys quickly)...........

1992 Barth Breakaway 32'

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carlflack:
Somewhere I made a post about doing this on my former 88 Regal SE.
Here is the post Carl... Dashboard Lettering Sadly, that post was before my time running things here.

Dave "Had It" in his photobucket site. But, when he sold his coach, he deleted all of the images that he had hosted there. Frowner

Here is the post on what happened. My Bad...Very Bad

If you still have those images you can send them to me and I'll get them back up for you.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Bill: Keep up the good work digging up the past/lost segments on the site. You will be full time here and Linda can run the truck repair business. Thanxx loads..............

1992 Barth Breakaway 32'

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bill: Located the photos of the dash. If you can single out the before and after shots
showing the improvement in the lettering and can add them to the post, please do.
Thanxx................Carl
Just as I remembered it... Fantastic Job!!!

Thanks Carl Thumbs Up

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
Carl... wow, what an amazing difference!! Definately going to give that a try!

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
Gerald, in answer to your question, the white ones dry to white.. Razzer
Jack

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jack.... don't know what the heck I was thinking (or lack thereof). Each passing year gets a little tougher Big Grin

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB