Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Ceiling Impressions
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Ceiling Impressions
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted
The ceilings in my '88 Barth appear to be made of some kind of foam backed material. Due to the fact that ALL my overhead cabinet have bad air pistons, we end up holding the doors open by hand which leaves impressions on the ceiling. Is there anyway to remove these impressions? short of replacing the ceiling. Seems like anyplace you touch leaves an impression

Posts: 136 | Location: overland park,ks,usa | Member Since: 08-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe a little steam from an iron. You might even try a very hot rag, or someghing flat that is hot so as not to leave more impressions. Could be the foam has lost its memory so to speak.

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
"Could be the foam has lost its memory so to speak."

I'm with Dale on that. I'd be real careful with an iron. Experiment where it won't show.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill is right be careful, and I was just thinking that by holding the iron close and letting the steam do it's' thing that it might help. A tea kettle might work too. I bet the memory is lazy with all the head liner heat that collects.

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
FWIW, my steam iron doesn't work upside down.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
KC - I'm not sure that you can reinvigorate the foam, but you can replace the gas pistons so that you do not keep pushing on the ceiling. I have had to replace four of the ones in by Barth. If yours are the same as mine, you can get them at any NAPA auto parts store. Mine are made by Specialty Parts Distributors (SPD)and there is a cross reference number for NAPA on their website. Here is a link to their site. http://www.spdhardware.com/gs1.htm I am using the SPD-GS-5000-20 gas spring. They are cheaper at NAPA, but still expensive at $21.95 each.

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
My cabinets have non-gas hold opens. Just a pair of spring cartridges. I believe I have seen similar at CW or some other RV store.

Mcmaster Carr has a really good selection of gas springs.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

type in "gas spring"

I warn you, though, that catalog is more addictive than crack or sex.

posted Hide Post
Hi KC:
I had the same problem with my 88. The comments about the backing being weak is correct (at least in mine). For the past 2 weeks I have been replacing the panels with a vinyl vs the felt. I would be glad to take some pictures and email them to you if you like. Also, I will give you some hints on the problems I had and how I got around them. A week ago I had it all done except the bedroom... Got a stif neck...packed the rig and went to the mountains for 6 days. I will complete the bedroom this week (I hope).

Resp,

Al Benton
1988 Barth Regency 40' 300T CAT

Posts: 75 | Location: Villa Rica, Ga, USA | Member Since: 03-15-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AL---I will take you up on the pictures and tips and how to get around problems. plan to redo the ceiling in a 1990 -32 ft. but already have the bad neck.Fell on my head in Canada on a fly in fishing trip 4 yrs.ago.But to move on I will give you e-mail address if digital pics. thanks fred

------------------
Fred

Posts: 14 | Location: Ft. Myers.Fl. | Member Since: 07-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fred---- I have just sent you an email indicating that I will borrow a digital from my son this week and get you the pictures.

R,
Al Benton
1988 Barth 40' Regency 300T CAT

Posts: 75 | Location: Villa Rica, Ga, USA | Member Since: 03-15-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post