Barthmobile Portal
Spartan air condition

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/4461058291

06-26-2006, 11:43 PM
Creepy Cawler
Spartan air condition
I have been looking in the manuals for the amount of freon it takes for the engine chasis air condition on a 92 Breakaway 30' with a Cummins.Czn anybody give me a idea? Has anybody changed them over to 134 freon?
06-27-2006, 12:55 AM
MWrench
I recently serviced my A/C system and put only 2 lbs of R-12 in after evacuation. Was very surprised how little it took. I wil know next week how well it works on our trip to Houston. Didn't consider changing to R-134 although I am sure that Acme has conversions available for this system

HTH

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater
06-27-2006, 08:01 AM
tom vernon
I changed over to r-134 in my sob 34ft with a cummins. The data plate on your compressor will give you an amount of freon and it should be roughly the same for 134. I'm $ure opinion$ will vary on how in depth you $hould go with the changover, whether to change every $eal in the $y$tem, drain all oil out of the $y$tem, $ome may even $ugge$t replacing the compre$$or. At a minimum, though, you should consider changing out the dryer/filter and replacing any seals that you suspect could be leaking. Automotive parts stores will also have the changeover kits if you do it yourself.
06-27-2006, 03:03 PM
Rusty
I converted both my van and SOB to R-134a, with no problems. Both also had the compressors replaced, but that was unrelated to the refrigerant.

It's best to flush the system and use the contemporary PAG lubricant.

BTW, usually a bit LESS R-134a than R-12 is appropriate.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields