Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    What the heck is this for??
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

What the heck is this for??
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com11/10
Picture of Bill & Sonja
posted
Here's my question, and I've been delaying this for a while because surely the answer would come to me eventually. Well it hasn't.
We have an 88, 33' SE . Between the door and the table, which sits between the tub chairs, there is a beautifully crafted 3" (approx.) wide by maybe 24" tall wooden envelope (for lack of the right word) which has what looks like a drawer slide in the bottom and a real nice detacable cover on the end. There is a picture of this in the Gallery on Page 8. In the picture with the tub chairs. Can anyone enlighten me as to what it was designed for?

Posts: 115 | Location: Calgary - Alberta & B.C., Canada | Member Since: 09-17-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Doormat holder?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill & Sonja
posted Hide Post
I think you're right on the money Bill. I knew it would be there for a practical reason. I'll be at Wally World tomorrow looking for one just the right size.

Posts: 115 | Location: Calgary - Alberta & B.C., Canada | Member Since: 09-17-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Umbrellas?....short umbrellas

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill & Sonja
posted Hide Post
Gosh Dave, do ya think our Barth engineers would have us stacking our short umbrellas up like cord wood. Maybe.... but I'll bet they would have drilled out the top so they could stand up with dignity... tall and short.

posted Hide Post
We have one of those in our '87 34T. It has a lid/cover for the stair well in it. Guess it wouldn't be too nice to drop either a chair leg or person leg into that hole by accident. In front of it is a cutsy little rack that the blueprint says is an "umbrella stand". Hope this helps,
Cheers,John

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill & Sonja
posted Hide Post
Lid for the stair well...THAT'S GOTT BE IT! I'll measure it up tomorrow to know for sure. Now I'll have to get busy and make a nice piece to go in it for just that purpose. Maybe I'll be able to slide a door mat in too. Too dry here for umbrellas anyway. Thanks guys.

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
NO! NO! I was only joking. Please don't disappoint yourself at WalMart looking for the right size doormats. Worse yet, if you are ever found out at a Barth rally to have non-standard equipment stored there, you will have to park across the street with the Southwinds.

Barths sold to customers in Northwest Iowa and the Dakotas came with a snow shovel, which had a detachable handle. The piece of furniture you query is storage for the blade of the shovel. The handle, known as "LD" to those in the know, detached, and was stored in a diabolically clever compartment all of its own.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have an '85 Regal and it does have a lid/cover for the stair well in it. It is carpeted like the rest of the coach. You just slide it out and drop it in the stair well and you never realize there are steps. It is the handiest thing they invented. We do not have a blueprint.

Mel

Posts: 24 | Location: Andrews, IN USA | Member Since: 09-03-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill & Sonja
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cowboy:
We have an '85 Regal and it does have a lid/cover for the stair well in it. It is carpeted like the rest of the coach. You just slide it out and drop it in the stair well and you never realize there are steps. It is the handiest thing they invented. We do not have a blueprint.

Mel

Firstly, Bill, it would take two compartments that size to handle a regulation shovel for this part of the country. Secondly, Dave, I'm checking RVSalvage for a custom fitted umbrella as I write, if I find one that will fit it'll be there.
Now to the gentlemen who have come up with what must be the real answer, well thanks a lot. Just what I needed one more job on the Barth list. All kidding aside, no wonder we're stuck on these Barths, they though of everything and a few more great ideas too. What a machine!!