Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    A/C Compressor, remove or not remove, that is the question
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

A/C Compressor, remove or not remove, that is the question
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
We are debating(that means that one person has one idea and the other person has a different idea) about whether to remove the dash A/C comppressor while we have the front of Old Blue apart. If the compressor were to sieze and break a belt, would the power steering, water pump, be affected in any way? The Breakaway broke a belt when the compressor froze up and the belt flew around and ripped up some wire which in turn caused some difficult problems. Of course that was a diesel. BTW, we are removing the smog pump.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The compressor can cause the belt to fail if it locks up; if it's a single serpentine belt, you lose power steering and brakes (if Hydroboost).

Howewer, the A/C pulley will usually spin freely if the clutch is disengaged.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Mine is not a serpentine belt. From what I've read even if the a/c compressor seizes, there are other belts that operate the power steering and the alternator. My concern is the damage a broken belt might do flying around in the engine compartment. Is there a reasonable chance that the a/c compressor pulley might lock up even tho the compressor is not on? thanks
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
My concern is the damage a broken belt might do flying around in the engine compartment. Is there a reasonable chance that the a/c compressor pulley might lock up even tho the compressor is not on? thanks
Jim

Either circumstance would be very unusual. Once the belt breaks, it is not longer propelled by anything and is unlikely to keep whipping around, as yours might have done. But, maybe one single whipping, as soon as your belt broke, just happened to whack some wires.
As for the clutch on the front of the AC comp, my experience has been that they get very noisy when they are going bad.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Study it before removing AC comp. Jim....If it's like mine, the swing arm bracket of the compressor is your only source of tension adjustment for that belt....you may need to come up with some type of adjustable idler pulley to compensate.....

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I can't believe the timing of this question.

MY wife's 1994 Mustang (I know not a motorhome) just went thru what you are talking about.

The ac hi/lo pressure manifold sprung a leak and all the ac fluid/lubricant came out. This resulted in the compressor and the compressor clutch locking up which burned the belt and snapped it in two. When the compressor was removed, the clutch was completely siezed and had became so hot it burned out the rubber vibration plugs in front of the clutch. Frowner

Just thought I would pass this on to you.

Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post