Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Drivetrain troble on way home
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Drivetrain troble on way home
 Login now/Join our community

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted
Well, there was one more problem in store for our trip back to Florida this year. I thought I might post it as a problem since I did figure it out in due time. So here's what happened:

The coach had traveled 1300 miles without a mechanical issue (not counting the fuel solenoid which I'm aware of). We stayed overnight at a campground in Georgia and it started right up this morning. While leaving the campground I had a little issue getting turned around in a church parking lot as my trailer makes it hard to back up, but eventually we were on our way South.

Immediately I noticed a weird sound from the engine compartment. Sounded like a squealing of belts or whistling sound. I also noticed a distinct lack of power and the transmission seemed to lag in shifting. I scanned the guages and noticed a little lower oil pressure than usual, but temps were as always, about 170 degrees.

I had Cheri drive up along side and in the rear to see if I was smoking or there were any odors, but she saw nothing (in my daughter's chase car).

I drove for about 30 miles in this condition and then pulled over to do a thorough check. Any guesses what I found wrong?

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing burnt tranny fluid, but I know it's something far less evident than that, like maybe an unwanted guest traveling south with you?

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Sounds like something to do with the air induction hoses... plugged aircleaner or a turbo boost hose was off. This is usually accompanied by black smoke. Based on your description, nothing was seen and no smell was evident.

Might it have something to do with a height control valve or linkage? But this normally gives you a feel like you're running on octagon tires and it would sounds like you have monster tires on the coach.

More hints?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Loose/leaky air line?

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Something in-line with the throttle linkage? I just don't see how lower oil psi would be a symptom. hmm

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No one has even come close yet. Think creatively, i did give an obscure clue in my description.

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Trailer Brakes

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
You mentioned that there was some difficulty turning around with your trailer--- was it trailer brakes that were "stuck"--- however this doesn't have any connection to oil pressure--- so we're still guessing

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Did the noise increase with the engine or with the road speed?

I would agree with the brakes being partial applied for the "Trailer's Brake, Breakaway Device" but it wouldn't cause lower oil psi. The noise would increase with road speed, but not with engine speed.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
did you turn too tight and pushed the side louvres to the fan? Doris

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The trailer brakes was a good guess and it was exactly what my first thought was when the issue occurred. When I checked for wheel heat there was nothing though. So, good guess, but it was nothing to do with trailer brakes or coach brakes.

Here is a clue, one could say it did have something to do with a brake despite what I just explained.

Bill, the noise did increase with engine speed, yet when I revved it in neutral it was less noticeable.

Doris, you are red hot even though it had nothing to do with the fan. hmm

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm, you flipped a U turn in a chuch parking lot you say? Did you suck up a "just married" sign on your radiator?

Temps would go up and wouldn't change oil pressure so I have no idea.

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Posts: 212 | Location: Somewhere in the SW | Member Since: 03-06-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
Maybe your U-Turn strecthed the toad's wiring harness and shorted sometjing out? Possibly the trailer (elec.) brake feed, as I dont believe that is fused.... Anyway I'm thinking electrical and the wiring harness....

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys are hitting all around the bulls-eye!

It DID have everything to do with the jockeying around the trailer in the church parking lot. I'll post the answer a little later today if no one gets it.

Picture of chrisW
posted Hide Post
It was just a little warning from above to not abuse the holy parking lot....next time your tires will be smited!

1985 Regency 35'
8.2T Detriot Diesel / Allison
other toys - a bunch of old Porsches, a GT350 and a '65 mustang convertible.

Posts: 164 | Location: Syracuse NY | Member Since: 07-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post