Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    TIRE VALVE EXTENSIONS
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

TIRE VALVE EXTENSIONS
 Login now/Join our community

posted
This past week I realized I had a flat on the rear inter tire. It is a Alum. 22.5 rim, and had an valve stem extension screwed on to assist in checking and airing same. I hired a local tire service to do the on site repair, and when the rim was removed we found that the extension had broken off, and this allowed the air out. The repair man suggested a shorter extension, and that I consider a rubber devise that slips into the rim outer hole that will hold the stem extension from flaping around and thus prevent this from happening again. He said go to NAPA to buy same, and my question is has anyone used this add-on, and if so what comments do you have regarding same. For what it is worth the charge for on site service was $45.00 plus $28.00 for the installation of the new stem. The air tank he used to BLAST enough air into the tire allowing the tire bead to seat was quite a treat to see. It seated the tire to the rim in just a fraction of a second, and had he not had a good grip on the tank it would have taken off like a rocket. He did a nice job, and I felt the price to be fair. Took him approx. one hour, and he cleaned the rim surface. Comments??? Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dale: I read some where not to use the rubber extensions on tires with air over 60 pd,Because of them breaking.Our Barth has the metal valve stems long enough to air up & check the air without the extensions.I have seen some R.V. with the metal extensions.Not sure if I read in MotorHome or Bill Farlow,will look for article. Best Jay

------------------
br2409

Posts: 61 | Location: Harriman,Tn.usa | Member Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
The best way is to have the short steel or brass valve stems and use the correct angled head for both servicing and checking pressure. Steel is better.

The next best way is to have steel or brass valve stems of the correct length installed. Steel is strongest. The next best way after that is to have metal valve extensions on your steel or brass valve stems. Steel stems are stronger. I use Loctite grade C to hold them on. They should be supported from being flexed outward from centrifugal force. www.gemplers.com sells metal extensions.

The so-called "flexible stainless steel" extensions" are just rubber hoses, and are less reliable. Jay is right, they are not good.

I would not use them on a wheelbarrow.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, I am talking about a rubber insert that supports the steel stem from flapping around. As I understand it is a semi-soft rubber insert with a hole in the middle that supports the stem. The O.D. rests in the larger rim hole. Thanks. Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/12
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted Hide Post
Back in my trucking days I've seen the rubber inserts that you speak of but never used them. If you use the right tire chuck and a guage with the proper straight foot for going straight on the valve and not pushing sideways you will have no problem. Get a air chuck and a guage for dual wheels at NAPA. The only way a valve will break is to bend it. I never liked extensions, to easy to bend and break or leak.

Posts: 140 | Location: Freedom Pa. U.S.A | Member Since: 04-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I have these metal woven extentions which are held in place by these clamps.

I still have a slow leak on my inner dual on the drivers side, but it only drops 10 lbs every couple hundred miles.

------------------
Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune moment.

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Carl Flack>
posted
Dave: I like your choice the best. The source
and price??

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Dale:After re-reading your posting,and reading Bill-H posting,looking at our Barth,going to NAPA looking at the rubber Insert.I'm going to fix our Barth like your tire man said.I got two short metal valve extensions,the rubber Inserts,Bill-H loctite grade c. Thank a lot;Jay&Shelby;

------------------
br2409

Posts: 61 | Location: Harriman,Tn.usa | Member Since: 09-22-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post