Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    dash a.c. dilemma
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

dash a.c. dilemma
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted
I have a 1996 23 ft Barth originally built for the Texas dept. of weights and measures. I have purchased a new compressor for the dash air but need a few more things to get her up and running. 1-how many pounds of refrigerant,2-a new expansion valve, and 3- a new receiver dryer.I called Acme a few hours ago but I wonder if they will have any idea what I have. They have changed there area code to 1-574-534-1516. any recommendations anyone? by the way, my serial no. is S0045-S0050. I believe my Barth no. is 23R01...(does this make any sense at all? I may be looking at the wrong no.)

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok.. I guess they know exactly what I have in my 96 at Acme. Pretty cool guys over there and very helpfull.

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
I'll add my recommendation: Junk the existing ac and replace it with a Vintage Air Maxi Cool system. The 454 powered RV's used a Chrysler system that operates on vaccum. If yours has a large box under the hood above the engine to which both the heater and ac lines are attached you will never get enough cool air to keep even the driver comfortable. The problem is the hot water continually circulates and the incomming air has to pass both the heater and cooling evaporator to get into the plenum. The Vintage Air is all electronic and separates the cooling evaporator from the heater core. It has much more air flow and uses a modern axial compressor that is much more efficient that the old GM R-6 compressor your probably have now. You will spend about $1200 for the entire system (hoses, dryer, compressor and switches) but when you are through you will be cool and comfortable. I did this on a 454 powered P-30 chassis 28 foot Sportscoach and was able to cool the entire front of the coach in Texas. I just closed the door between the front and the rear. I have done the same change in my 1993 Regency that had the Acme and have had the same pleasant results.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for you recommendation Tom! I wll look into this and let you know what I do.

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Re: Tom K's comment about hot water continually circulating.

In a system that is working properly, the temperature control operates a valve that affects the amount of circulating hot water. That's how it controls the temperature. When the heater is on, & fresh air is coming in, it tempers the outside air. Likewise when the A/C compressor is on.

The A/C switch merely turns the compressor on or off, it doesn't regulate the air temperature. That is regulated by the amount of hot water allowed to flow through the heater core. When the heater control is all the way to the cool side, it should halt the hot water flow completely.

Heater control valves fail regularly. They live in a hostile environment, are not exercised every day, & are seldom made of the best materials. They are not difficult to change, but it is unlikely to find a perfect match at your local auto parts store, they tend to be made for universal application. Odds are you will find something that can be made to fit.

Been there, done that, more than once. It ain't rocket science.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post