Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Electrical problem with dash gauges.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Electrical problem with dash gauges.
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted
My dash gauges and screen monitor kick off and on driving down the road. It also kicks off the cruise control, controlled on the dash. I cleaned up the battery cables and tighten them down and checked other areas and cannot figure out why this is happening. The head lights are working fine because they are powered off a relay. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

1990 32' Regency, Wide Body
Spartan Chassis, 8.3 CTA Cummins
4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I believe there is another relay used to power the dash cluster. One of our DP guys might have had this and give you the specific location.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5197 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Fred,

Steve (L78Steve) will know the answer. He is the electrical genius. He purchased the California Barth from Carol on the site.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
Back in the battery compartment are a bank of auto re-set breakers. They are round in shape. Its common for them to go bad after 25 years.
Disconnect them one at a time with the key on and gauge's on until you find the one that cuts power to the gauge panel.
Be careful with grounding hot leads.

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
I have been wrestling with a similar problem: when turning right the coach leans left and the gauges go to zero. When turning left or running straight they function normally. I have not found anything that moves on the coach when turning and no wires are near the Pitman arm or steering box. No fuses blow and everything returns to normal as soon as the coach returns to level. Been chasing wires through the chassis, frame rails, master electrical panel without luck. Ran the coach with a multimeter hooked to the 12v feed and it definitly drops out. Best guess is a broken 12v wire that is being stretched apart when the coach leans left. Driving me crazy but does not seem to affect anything else. My cruise is on the steering wheel and the horns work fine.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
Could it also be a bad ground ?? Bob

Year:: 1986
Model:: Barth Regal
Length:: 25 ft
Engine:: New Chevy 454 HO
Chassis:: P-30
Data Tag Number:: 8606 3339 25FP2

Posts: 262 | Location: Wampum , Pa | Member Since: 02-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The multimeter was connected to the hot side and it drops to zero. Even if a ground was bad the meter provides its own ground so 12v should still be detectable.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dr. bart
posted Hide Post
Where is the meter grounded ?... If to a bus bar, perhaps the ground to the bus bar is at fault...my breakaway has a mess of self- reset circuit breakers and a few relays/contactors that control various circuits...and a couple massive bars that have screws that can/have come loose of years of vibration...
Move the meter leads closer to the power source until it reads normal and work your way towards the gauges...good luck... I'll search on my bus and see if any thing looks like it could be your problem...it's simple to fix, but aggravating to find..you have two choices...either power or ground...

Posts: 108 | Location: harrisonburg va | Member Since: 06-14-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ground was the chassis steel and the meter was at the crazy bundle of red wires that were all twisted together to provide B+ to the gauges, the warning light bulbs on the 10 light bar, and dash lighting. The tracing is what is difficult as it works unless the coach is leaning over and that is not easy to make happen. The Gillig wiring has so many unused wires that were associated with the bus version that sorting them out is a chore. Thanks for the advice, I plan on another safari into it after we return from the Indy 500 in June.

Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted Hide Post
I believe I may have solved my problem with the dash instruments by replacing my battery terminals with new ones. I just completed a 100 mile trip and everything worked fine.

1990 32' Regency, Wide Body
Spartan Chassis, 8.3 CTA Cummins
4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post