Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    More and many towing questions and issues
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

More and many towing questions and issues
 Login now/Join our community

posted
We are towing our Mazda Miata(2400 lbs) four down accross the country from Florida to California with our 31ft Regal John Deere 460. Probably via route 40 We want to tow as safely and as economically as possible if indeed the two can be synonomous. We've explored a few options. Because after the initial trip we will only be towing occasionally we thought renting a tow dolly from u-haul would be the most economical($285.00 for 10 days plus $45 dollars each additional day) The trip probably won't take longer than 11 or 12 days. After gathering info on the tow bar option I am finding that prices for tow bars as well as types are rather far ranging from $125.00 to $200.00 for a simple A-frame car mount to the costlier self-aligning MH mounted types. Anyone who can share they're experiences with using the various types of tow bars available please do. I'm ascertainning that we'll go with something like the Roadmaster tracker tow bar, standard brackets, and magnetic base towing lights. I don't expect that we will need towd brakes as this would shoot our budget, however suggestions are welcome. There's also the issue of transmission heating. We don't have a trans cooler, just an auxillary fan on the radiator. The transmission temp gauge on the dash dances around like crazy when the Barth is in motion albeit it appears to dance only as high as the temp. reading. Perhaps to install a mechanical gauge and how ? WHEW!!!! WHAT A CAN OF WORMS.

------------------
Jack and Daiva
1988 Barth Regal

[This message has been edited by brandman (edited May 04, 2004).]

Posts: 140 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Member Since: 09-03-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I have towed various vehicles with an A- frame towbar since the sixties with no trouble. With two people, it is not hard to hook up at all.

I would not recommend having an RV without a tranny cooler whether towing or not. I would recommend a Tru Cool Max from HERE:

http://www.bulkpart.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant...&Category_Code=TCCHD

It seems to offer the most cooling ability for the money. Switching to synthetic tranny fluid will help, too. It takes the heat better and often runs cooler.

I would suspect that your problem with the gage is a poor connection, perhaps even inside the gage. That is not normal behavior for an electric gage. It could be hard to find a mechanical gage that would have the range and reach that you need.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
You might check the wire attached to the sender switch. If it is loose, it can make the gauge go crazy- recent past experience.

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, looks like true cool #4588 or 4589 would be a good bet. Are they difficult to install ? I'll pull the dash and check the connections on that gauge.

------------------
Jack and Daiva
1988 Barth Regal

Posts: 140 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Member Since: 09-03-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Jack, before you pull the dash, follow Eddie's advice and check the sender connection first.

As for the cooler, I am presently using a 4589, and it is not enough on long, hot climbs with a toad. However, my 502 puts out a bit more torque than most RV engines. YRMV. As a result, I have purchased a 4739 and will be adding it soon. I have found GVW ratings to be unreliable. There seems to be a disparity between GVW and BTW ratings, even within product from the same company. BTW, these are made by Long in Canada and also sold under the B&N name here. The only rating that means anything is BTU capacity under standard conditions. The 4589 is rated at 20,500 BTUs, while the 4739 is rated at 40,000. With the 4739, you pay twice the price and get twice the cooling, but you only do it once. As a middle ground, the 4590 would be a good choice. It is rated at 29,200 BTUs.

They are both very easy to install, having two sturdy flanges on each end.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips Bill. Incidently I did check the sender switch and the little contact plate was so loose it was swiveling around. We ramped it down and re-installed it. It's tight now but I have not taken it for a spin yet. There appears to be a very good size factory transmission cooler already mounted to the front of the radiator with I believe an after market auxillary fan mounted to it(transmission cooler). Are you suggesting another cooler in addition to this one ? If so where does it mount ? I probably should change my signature to Joseph Layman.

------------------
Jack and Daiva
1988 Barth Regal

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Jack, be sure to put a lock washer under the nut on the sender lest the constant heating and cooling cycles loosen the nut again.

"Are you suggesting another cooler in addition to this one ? If so where does it mount?"

In your first post, you said there was no trans cooler, hence the recommendations. Without knowing the size of the cooler, it would be hard to say whether to add another one or not. The test will be towing up a hill on a hot day and reading the gage, now that it works. You did say that it seemed to read the high temp at the top of its jiggle. Did you tow on a hot day? My own feelings are that cooler is always better. The cooler the trans, the longer the seals stay soft.

posted Hide Post
My mistake Bill. We're still learning about our rig. Our trans cooler looks to be a pretty good size. About 75-80% as large as the radiator. Not certain what the specs are though. The synthetic fluid sounds like a great idea though.

------------------
Jack and Daiva
1988 Barth Regal

[This message has been edited by brandman (edited May 01, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by brandman (edited May 15, 2004).]

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Jack, is there a condensor for the air conditioning there, too?

Picture of Don Scalzo
posted Hide Post
My daughter was towing our '85 Honda with a tow bar, didn't notice the right front tire was blown, and the wiring harness which passed through the fender was shredded! When we picked up the Barth in Vegas 70 wires had to be spliced before the Toad could be used.

Posts: 196 | Location: Apollo Beach, Fl. USA | Member Since: 10-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
My neighbor had the same problem with a blown tire on the toad that he didn't notice. He installed a camera down low and at an angle so he could observe all 4 tires through his rearview camera system. He bought a security camera system from Sam's Club that has 2 camera inputs.

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Eddie, would you explain how one camera watches four tires?

I have considered using a magnet to install a small microphone in each fender well to monitor noise. The volume could be adjusted to make normal tire and wind noise unnoticable but you would still hear a tire failure.

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Years ago, someone made an accessory that monitored travel trailer tires, and told the driver if they were losing air. Don't know if it worked, or is still available, but it might be worth searching for.

FWIW, a few years ago, someone towing through the mountains in a Western state (can't remember which one) lost a tire on his toad, and was charged for fighting the forest fire it caused. Another acquaintance lost a tire, unbeknownst, and the damage to his toad nearly totaled it.

Doesn't happen often, but the consequences can be severe.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
Bill,
He mounted the camera a little right of center underneath his trailer hitch mounts. It is also a wide angle lens. It was a $100 stainless housing camera.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
Jack, is there a condensor for the air conditioning there, too?

That is a cylindrical device attached to the cooler itself correct ?

------------------
Jack and Daiva
1988 Barth Regal