Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    generator to landline, switch
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

generator to landline, switch
 Login now/Join our community

posted
HI GANG, I BOUGHT A 21 FT SILVER BARTH 454 IN 12/01/03 , DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THE SWITCHOVER FROM LANDLINE POWER TO RUN THE ACCESSORIES WITH THE GENERATOR, THE GENSET TO LANDLINE SWITCHOVER , THERE IS A SWITCH IN THE ONAN GENERATOR AND THE CLOSET THERE IS AN AC ELECTRICAL FUSEBOX , ALSO A DC FUSE BOX IN THE CLOSET , AND HOW DOES THE INVERTER FUNCTION ?? AS I CANT GET ANY OF THESE TO WORK , ANY AND ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED , THANKS , JON MARK

Posts: 6 | Location: PO Box 1503 Gulf Shores, Al 36547 | Member Since: 04-29-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
The generator usually powers the 110v circuits a few moments after it fires up. It will run for a minute or two, and you'll hear an audible snap when the power switches on (at least that has been the case in the last 3 rigs I've owned which had gennys).

If you have a 110v microwave oven, you'll know the power is on when the monitor lights up.

If you're connected to shore power while the genny is running, it can create a serious problem, but most modern systems have a built-in automatic switching mechanism which prevents that.

In my view, you'll always be safe if you switch the genny off before connecting to shore power, and vice versa.

If your a.c. system works on shore power, it should also work when the genny is running. If it works on one, but not the other, there is probably a breaker open somewhere, or you have a problem in the wiring.

To test, I would disconnect the shore power, make sure all 110v breakers are on (also be sure no ground fault interrupters are off ) start the gernny and see if you have power.

This is not gospel, just one guy's view, but I'm sure you can resolve the problem.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
In the shore power cord storage compartment, there should be a female receptacle....Just plug the power cord into it and you should then be on generator feed to the coach......

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum, Jon.
As mentioned, there are several ways it is done.
One more way is by turning a black knob near the 110 volt circuit breakers. Mine is marked "shore" and "generator" or something similar.
Oh, BTW, all caps is hard for some old eyes to follow, and is considered by some to be shouting. I, of course, never shout, but do indeed use caps for emphasis. If I used all caps, I couldn't emphasize.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited April 29, 2004).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
The inverter should be in the line after the shore/generator switch. It may be in a branch line that supplies only certain outlets or appliances or it could be in line to supply all circuits. The latter is doubtful given the load requirements for all circuits.
The inverter is supplied with battery power, there may be a bat. switch to the inverter so it can be supplied by choosing either house or starting batteries, it should snap on when there is no 110VAC on its branch circuit(s). I have noticed this happens fast enough to prevent loss of time on the microwave digital clock.
The inverter will go "off-line" shortly, within a minute, after the 110VAC is restored to the circuits.
For many inverters the battery voltage must be above some minimum or they will not function. This is to permit sufficient voltage to start an engine. On mine I believe the limit is about 11.5VDC.

Good Luck,
Tim

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post