Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Inverter or whatever you call it
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Inverter or whatever you call it
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted
The black box that provides the 12volt side of my electrical system was killed with a power surge or lightning night before last. Stange thing is that the one in the camper next to it, same thing and it was not plugged in although the shore power cable was connected to the camper itself. Timing sucked as a man was coming to buy the camper and I figured this out just ahead of his arrival. Luckily he had a RV tech with him and the RV tech diagnosed the problem on both RVs. He said if I get a later model 75 amp unit, it should run $200-300. So, my question is, does anyone have a recommendation on what to buy as a replacement? Thanks.

Tom Taylor
94 Breakaway XL

Posts: 306 | Location: Jacksonville FL | Member Since: 05-21-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And he said 4 bolts holds it in, it has the battery connection and then it plugs into the coach. I am hoping this plug on a new inverter is the same as I do not know if this is a standard interface.

One thing barth did not do is provide some 110 volt lamps spread around the coach as I had nothing but a BR lamp to see by. Tom

Posts: 306 | Location: Jacksonville FL | Member Since: 05-21-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
There are 2 issues here - one is the converter, and you may have another problem.

The contemporary systems use a single-output converter. The converter connects to the battery and keeps it charged, and the battery always powers the house 12 VDC circuits. I have a Progressive Dynamics 9260.

This leads to the second issue: You should have had 12 VDC to the coach from the batteries, which means you should have had 12 V lighting. The master switch may be off, or there may be a problem with the batteries or the 12 VDC circuit.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rusty. I forgot to post that when you throw the breaker, you get a big electrical POOF sort of like what happens when my son was testing using his infamous light socket and bulb and put the two leads on the two 110 lines in the power panel and it comes from the converter. You were right about lightning right around that surge guard on the pole. The next night we had another electrical storm and more strange stuff. At his home on the same property it took one side of a 220V breaker in the power panel that powers the AC system. And, it took out his cable modem.

Tom Taylor

posted Hide Post
In re-reading your post, there is a toggle switch next to the entrance front door that I have not positively identified. It lights red when on and is next to the 5 switches that controls the steps, outside lights, etc. I had it turned off as someone said when connected to shore power it would fry my batteries. IDK. I have a power pole and 150 amp panel next to the Barth and 50 amp plug for Barth and it stays connected as I have been staying in it. doing work at my son's. My Barth has sat under a tall carport type cover for 2 weeks. I take it out once a week to go to the dumping station and to exercise the coach. I have solar on the roof and it has been actively keeping the batteries charged except when under the carport cover I guess. So either those batteries have lasted a week (big 6 volt batteries connected teg for the house), or something else. Tom Taylor

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
Picture of RainCatcher
posted Hide Post
On our coach the switch you are describing switches off all 12 volt power in the coach.

"Keep On Truckin"
94 30' Breakaway #3866
5.9 cummins on spartan chassis

Posts: 206 | Location: Seattle | Member Since: 04-22-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Contemporary converters are designed not to overcharge the batteries, so the coach can be left plugged in safely.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ordered an 80 amp converter from the company that Rusty suggested. The old unit was 75 amp so I went the next up. Hope to install it in the next couple of days.

I decided not to reset any breakers until I put the new converter in. There is a battery disconnect on the positive pole of the house battery so I plan to disconnect there before doing anything. I have been using the Barth to take a shower each day. I am doing work on a guest house at my sons (a building with two big rooms and a half bath requiring I add things like a shower and hot water, etc).

I know for a fact both big 12V house batteries are fully charged. However, the barth is dead 12V wise until I crank the diesel. So, I have been cranking it to take my shower since I need some light and the hot water. There is 110V power connected. Every thing seems normal while the diesel is running. And, there is some charge showing on the batteries after I shut the diesel down in 30 minutes. It seems strange to me. I would not have expected any 12V juice when I shut the diesel down given that the house batteries are fully charged and not making connection to the house.

Any ideas here?

Tom Taylor

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Clean the house battery terminals and the battery grounds to the chassis. The symptoms you describe indicate you're getting 12 VDC produced by the alternator directly from the isolator.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

posted Hide Post
To summarize we had an electrical storm this way two days in a row that did lots of damage all around. A deputy sheriff watch lightning hit the comm tower while sitting in his car in front of the sheriff's office and he saw the lightning then follow the coax into the office and blow up everything called radio.

So, I was in the barth and son called to ask if I was okay as lightning hit really close by. I was oblivious to it. Next day or so I was without 12v power even though connected to shore power. It turns out my converter was hit. Found this when throwing the breaker and getting a loud pop out of it.

Ordered a new one. Have not installed. So, what I have observed so far is that after putting the house batteries on a charger, I have a full charge and they pass the load tests. No 12V in Barth. So, as soon as I turn on the ignition key, everything comes alive. BTW, I have a solar system and it has a volt meter on the panel. The volt meter read 0 until I turned on the ignition key. Then it read 12. So, I crank and let the engine run while I take a shower and wait for hot water to warm. After 30 minutes, I turn off the ignition and everything stays working although I see the volt meter at slightly below 12v. At that point I left it with only one light burning. Everything else including gas sniffer off. This is curious to me. I am going to clean the battery cables and posts but where is this 12v coming from.

Tom Taylor

posted Hide Post
It just occured to me that maybe the really large 12 volt batteries on the driver's side of the Barth are to start the engine. I made an assumption here. Now, I will need to go check the smaller batteries on the passenger side.

Tom Taylor

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Tom, don't know if it's related, but check this post. This was the problem when I lost all 12V.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, my head was somewhere else but now in the right place. The real house batteries are on the passenger side. Dead as a doornail. Wonder where that came from? Anyway, being charged now. Hope to put converter in later this week.

Nick, glad to know about that relay.

Tom Taylor

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/17
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nick, glad to know about that relay.

(by Tom T.)

Me, too. I'm on an electrical system learning kick. I've got 12v either boondocking or on shore power, so I think mine is OK. But I've got no power to the light in the shower. It must be 12v because it's got a good automotive bulb in the socket on the wall and I pulled it to check the wiring. Can't find any breakers popped.

Question: Is the list of CBs and TBs (what are CBs and TBs?) under the "dashboard" a comprehensive list of 12v accessories? I keep finding breakers all over the place. Some under the bed; others under the dashboard but none popped or burned out.

Might have to order one of those 3,000 manuals Nick keeps talking about!

Lou

PS: I'm guessing that when a storm is approaching it is prudent to pull the shore power
and store it until it's all clear. Sorry you had to be the guinea pig, Tom.

Posts: 467 | Location: Allegan, MI. | Member Since: 08-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
But I've got no power to the light in the shower. It must be 12v because it's got a good automotive bulb in the socket on the wall and I pulled it to check the wiring. Can't find any breakers popped.

Check the switch and its connections. Also, double-check the wiring in the fixture - I had to redo the ground terminal on mine.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke