Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    5.9 B engine injectors
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

5.9 B engine injectors
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted
Ok, I did it. After changing the transmission from a Allison 542 to an Allison 2000, I also changed the injectors. It now goes alike a banchee. I'm almost afraid to floor it. Before I ran out of ompf at 2000 rpm. Now it just keeps climbing and the turbo boost goes to 30 lbs. Took it over the hill just east of Yuma. This was a third gear hill. Now it idles up in 5th gear. Most amazing! Estimating a little over 300 big ponies. At 60mph I am turning just a tad over 1600 and almost no throttle.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the good job.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Gary!! Bet you are looking for a nice long trip to break in the new trans??!!

Will you be in your area somewhere around May 1? I will be working a ORR in TX on Apr26 and will be coming back thru your area, would like to stop by and get acquainted, let me know and good luck with the modified toy!

Ed

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Way to go! I got the same feeling after replacing the turbo on my new engine.

I'd suggest getting, if you don't have one, an exhaust gas temperature (EGT) gage.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/12
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted Hide Post
Sounds great sure wish mine had the same.If I could get my wife to think the same way... She thinks a forsale sign would be more to her liking.She says it just taking up space in the garage.

Posts: 140 | Location: Freedom Pa. U.S.A | Member Since: 04-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I don't know what coach you have, but it's a necessity (IMHO) on supercharged engines.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HI Gary,
Did you replace your injectors with original size or with larger ones?
Thanks,
Darrell and Jeannie Moore

'93/94 33' Breakaway-5.9B 230 HP cummins-allison6spd MD3060

Posts: 39 | Location: Chehalis, WA. | Member Since: 01-31-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was going to ask the same question that Darrel asked and in addition, did you do or was there any other mod to the engine? Do you have the banks kits on it? 30 lbs of boost it far above the normal for a stock engine!

I will have my turbo rebuilt this summer with a smaller housing for better off line performance but curious about all the other things you and other may have done to the 5.9 engine.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The injectors are considered performance injectors. Not only do they increase the power, but claim a mileage increase of 2-6mpg in a Dodge pickup. I do know they give a huge increase in power.

And just for grins I bought them on ebay. My favorite shopping site. I also bought the transmission there also.

The first real test of the new stuff is the 15th as we are going to spend a week on the beach at Camp Pendleton, which is North of San Diago.

We will be heading east to Kentucky about the 1-3rd of May.

5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
With that kind of boost and freer-flowing injectors, an EGT is an ABSOLUTE NECESSITY. I don't know what safe limits for the C 5.9L are, but on my AMG yellow line is 1250F and red is 1200F.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
With that kind of boost and freer-flowing injectors, an EGT is an ABSOLUTE NECESSITY. I don't know what safe limits for the C 5.9L are, but on my AMG yellow line is 1250F and red is 1200F.
The yellow line is hotter then the red line? Confused

What Rusty is saying is true, you need an EGT gauge.

When you have a pumped up motor, you must drive the vehicle and watch your Pyrometer. The pouring point of aluminum is 1380f. Anything above 1150f on a pyrometer is of great concern! The gauge may go to 1600, but what's the point?

If you do not have a charge air cooler, consider installing one. You should have one, so this isn't that big of a deal.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a pyrometer. Climbing the hill east of here it gets to about 1250. Have been told that all is ok up to 1350. Normal cruise is 8-900 degrees, and down hill about 300.

5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Carter:
I have a pyrometer. Climbing the hill east of here it gets to about 1250. Have been told that all is ok up to 1350.
If it works for you, and you're comfortable with that, keep driving it.

I tell truck drivers, if you see 1150 let off on the throttle. I would rather be safe then sorry and I have to work on these when they go boom.

Here is a link that might be an interesting read for everyone. It takes into account the sea level in relationship to HP and EGT's - I don't know how high up that mountain is you quoted Gary, but it should give you something to think about.

http://www.dieselinjection.net/BC/booklet.html

In it he states a temp of 1400 pulling Pikes Peak without engine damage. He took into account the elevation.

While I don't doubt the figures you were quoted, I also don't have to work on your engine. The 1150 is conservative but well founded. If you wish to keep the engine around for awhile you should keep the EGT at 1200 or less at all times.

1350 is BEGGING for a meltdown. If your gauge is off by 50 degrees you're going to have a problem. With anything that a human touches, we all go past the point of safe ranges and justify it with "well it was only for 5 miles" or "I just needed to get to the next exit" etc...

We have all read in these pages how someone blew a hose and drove it "just a little bit" to get it someplace and how they don't understand why the engine needs to be replaced.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
TYPO ALERT...yellow line on my engine is 1050F, red is 1200F.

I agree with Bill N Y - EGT limits aren't necessarily engine-specific, they're metal specific. Higher altitude causes EGT to have to be watched more carefully.

I dumped my eBay EGT (I didn't trust it) and replaced it with VDO.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

posted Hide Post
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't a lot of the temperature limits depend on where in the exhaust stream the thermocouple is located?

I have located mine (haven't connected the gauge yet)just aft of the turbo as close as I could get it to the turbo outlet. There really was no place to drill and tap the exhaust manifold.

I have fears of the thermocouple coming apart and lunching the turbo, mounted aft doesn't present that issue.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater