Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Battery Charger .
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Battery Charger .
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Had this 73 25' for 20 days now and slowly working through it.
When I got it I charged up the batteries through the built-in battery charger for a couple of days and that did a good job.
Yesterday I changed the the oil in the generator, hooked up the coach plug in to it and fired it up and let it run for about an hour before it ran out of gas.I left the plug in the generator and this morning the coach batteries were dead. I have had the coach plugged in to shore with the charger humming along and the batteries will not charge up - all day
The fuses in the inverter/ charger are all ok.
Any ideas???

Posts: 28 | Member Since: 04-19-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
George-
Perhaps your "Shore-Generator" switch is in the wrong position?????

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What and where is the shore / generator switch??
I have a breaker box on the genset but thats it.
Thanks for your help.
George

posted Hide Post
My coach (an'88) may be different than yours in how the 110v system of the coach determines how it is powered --- either by the generator OR by shore power. The coach circuits cannot be connected to both. Some coaches have an automatic switch over with shore power being the default (this is the norm on the newer/bigger coaches). Mine has a big rotary switch located beside the coach 110v circuit breakers; the selection of shore or generator is made by turning the switch appropriately. Still others require plugging in the shore power cord into a recepticle wired to the generator (1970's technology). HTH

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes my shore power just hooks into the top of the gen set but I wondered how the batteries got drained over night by just leaving the plug in the gen set.
After much fiddling I have got the batteries charged up again with a big battery charger and now the inverter/charger is working. On this old bird there is a 30 amp breaker on the gen set. It looked ok but I flipped it down and back up again. Can the genset drain your batteries when not running? Perhaps I have a blocking diode that is toast.Since the bird ran out of gas as opposed to being "stopped" maybe something malfunctioned. Ideas ???

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Mark Estep
posted Hide Post
I'd be willing to bet yer batteries are junk. Your coach doesn't have a selector for shore/generator. By plugging the shoreline into the socket on the generator, you are selecting the generator. You got them charged up enough to start yer genset, then they drained overnight. The fact that the gen. ran out of fuel means that you have less than 1/4 tank left in yer fuel tank. They are plumbed so that they can't drain the main tank dry and leave you stranded. I know yours runs on propane, though. But I bet that's why they left the fuel tank in it...for the genny.
Mark

Posts: 65 | Location: Traveling the USA | Member Since: 11-25-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sounds logical.
Thanks ,
George