Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Ladder - What/Where Can I Get?
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Ladder - What/Where Can I Get?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
Try looking at it early in the morning. See if there is more dew in certain areas. Look on the inside. If there are interior panels joined together there is a beam there.

Maybe something between the dew and the panels and the outer edge might work for you.

I've looked inside as well as out, and thumped on the panel from both sides. The only "solidness" is where the side and top cabinetes are attached. The panel doesn't "oilcan" at all; it just feels more solid opposite the cabinet attachment points.

There are no seams except at the rivet points. It's basically a 6'x3' flat panel.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I can tell you there were several things that I saw on my coach.

In the early morning spring/ summer hours the dew would drip off a little different or wouldn't be in certain places. I could see where just about all of the beams were. In the colder months it took a little longer for the frost to form where the beams were.

Other then that I'm lost and don't really have any other suggestions. You could try an aluminum magnet on the inside panels. Big Grin Razzer

Statement: "There is no such thing as an aluminum magnet" End!

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I would skip the aluminum magnets. They usually stick on so strongly that they scratch the paint when you pull them off. Wink

However, Rusty, on my coach, at the headboard of the bed, the lower section is screwed in place. If you were to remove it, the framing on the back of the coach should be revealed. This may be a similar construction on you coach.

Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mine's a diesel pusher, and there's really not headboard - i fact, the interior panel pretty much echoes the exterior - a 6+ foot wide piece with no breaks, even below the hinge point for the bed lift...weird...

But I'm thinking, someone thought that the "stuff" between the interior fascia and the outer panel was strong enough for anchoring the bedroom cabinets, it may well be enough for an external ladder.

The aluminum magnets aren't an issue - I got mine stuck on a collection of beer cans, and the whole mess now weighs over 3 tons, and I can't pry the magnets off...Big Grin

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Aluminum magnets, huh?

What was it that Archie said to Mehitabel?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Toujours gai - or was that what Mehitabel said to Archie?

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Well, that, too.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"What was it that Archie said to Mehitabel?"

When they turn on the light, RUN!!

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Okay, time for one of my stupid questions...how is the factory installed ladder attached to the back of a Breakaway? I went to climb mine yesterday and it seems that the rivets holding it in place are all unattached, so I got off of it promptly.....

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
The ladder rivets rotted on my coach as well.

I carefully drilled and punched out the existing rivets, made sure the hole was the same size and installed Stainless Steel rivets. To do this I use an air dirven rivet gun, about $120.00 (this assumes you have an air compressor) ; there is no way I can install S.S. rivets with a hand tool. You can use aluminum rivets and the aluminum rivets did last a number of years on my 1973. Aluminum 3/16 th diameters rivets can be done with a hand tool; a decent one sells for about 25 to 30 dollars. There are "self filling" rivets that look nice or a dab of silicone seal in the hole has a simular effect.

If you are not compeled to fill your house with tools as I am at least you have an idea of what the tools cost.

CAD plated steel rivets are in my view a poor choice, hard to install, just like the SS ones, and prone to rust.

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Timothy,
Thanks for the info. on this. I did the same thing, except we used aluminum rivets and replaced them all. They all fit real well and now I can use my ladder (the roof needs to be coated). Do you think I need to put some sort of "sealer" around the new rivet to prevent any leaking because we drilled out the old ones?

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
This is a bit late, but I seal the area around the rivet hole before seating the rivet. Then I seal the hole where the mandrel breaks off.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke