Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    MYSTERY PART
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

MYSTERY PART
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted
Has anyone seen one of these, or can suggest a source?

Hole and threads are 5/16"

I am contemplating using a couple for a fine adjustment on my Hughesnet polarization. I have even sent a picture to McMaster-Carr, but no response. Even at the best local hardware store, the clerks have never even seen one.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
It looks like a cable slip for the brakes on a 10 speed bike.

Do you have another angle shot?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I had three of these in my shed but last week I was cleaning it out and threw them away because I thought I'd never need them. Dang!

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
I had three of these in my shed but last week I was cleaning it out and threw them away because I thought I'd never need them. Dang!

OW!

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:

Do you have another angle shot?

No, but a sentence is worth a thousand pictures, I think.

It is made of steel hex stock, and one end is turned down to 5/16" and threaded. The other end has a 5/16" hole drilled through it from one side to the other. It is cad-irridited and appears to have rolled threads.

In the photo it is lying on one inch grids.

I'm pretty sure it was made in a factory, and is used on the tilt adjustment of my Hughesnet antenna. While in Quartzsite, I spoke with the seller of my setup, (Scott) Dustyfoot, and he said he no longer sells that model setup, but it was acquired from Hughes or Direcway, not from the manufacturer or a supply house.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Drawing on my model railroading background, I'd say you could make these fairly easily if you have a drill press. I doubt that the hex shape is critical. A piece of square stock, chucked in a drill press, can be turned down and hit with a die (the male thread). The drill press and tap can deal with the female.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Drawing on my model railroading background, I'd say you could make these fairly easily if you have a drill press. I doubt that the hex shape is critical. A piece of square stock, chucked in a drill press, can be turned down and hit with a die (the male thread). The drill press and tap can deal with the female.

Yeah, you're right. I might end up making them. I had this fantasy that I could acquire a couple with little more effort than a trip to the store or a key stroke or two. And the plating appeals for outdoor use.

My drill press chuck doesn't like square stock. Frowner

Alas and Alack.

Nothing is simple.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
I sent you a PM with pictures of a satellite elevation adjuster that I have.

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
I work for an electrical contractor and we use something similar. The ones we have are self tapping and the hole has threads also. They are used to hang rods for suspended ceilings. My camera won't take clear picture of something that small.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Ray:
I work for an electrical contractor and we use something similar. The ones we have are self tapping and the hole has threads also. They are used to hang rods for suspended ceilings.

Thanks, Mary, I think I know what you are describing. They are really close, and I considered them, but the threaded stud needs to be unthreaded right up against the body, since it acts as a pivot, and the rest of the stud needs to be a machine thread for precision adjustment to eliminate slop.

Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
The part I described is on an ANDREW 1.0m 1.2m SMC Antenna System Type 120
Parts re
item
5 Bolt M8 x 130mm Hex Head
6 Nut Swivel Special M8
9 Washer 5/16 flat (2)
12 Nut M8 Elastic Stop
10 Nut Hex M8
11 Washer Spher, Delrin

708-349-3300 "www.andrew.com"
I can scan and eMail to you if I had an eMail address.

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack:
The part I described is on an ANDREW 1.0m 1.2m SMC Antenna System Type 120
Parts re
item
5 Bolt M8 x 130mm Hex Head
6 Nut Swivel Special M8
9 Washer 5/16 flat (2)
12 Nut M8 Elastic Stop
10 Nut Hex M8
11 Washer Spher, Delrin

708-349-3300 "www.andrew.com"
I can scan and eMail to you if I had an eMail address.

WOW! This looks like a metric version of what I have. Metric will work fine.

Yes, I would indeed like a scan.

Thank you so much, Jack.

Barth people are really neat. Smiler

Such a wide variety of experience and knowledge here.

My eMail is Billat908@yahoo.com

Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
Bill, I just looked in my 'yankee-yard' because the snow is beginning to go away, and found one that is used but servicable. Get me your mail address by PM and I'll send it to you.

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
bill h, Having known you as long as anyone on this site, I took the intro to this thread light -heartedly and posted a reply in the same spirit. I am now almost,[not quite], sure you were actually serious about this part, and must assure you that I did not have 3 of these sitting around my shed. 2 maybe, but not 3 Roll Eyes Good luck with your search.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
bill h, Having known you as long as anyone on this site, I took the intro to this thread light -heartedly and posted a reply in the same spirit. I am now almost,[not quite], sure you were actually serious about this part, and must assure you that I did not have 3 of these sitting around my shed. 2 maybe, but not 3 Roll Eyes Good luck with your search.

Yeah, I was serious, and I was pretty sure your were joking. Hoping, anyway.

Good joke, too.

Interestingly enough, Jack not only took me seriously, but his use is almost the same as mine----adjusting an antenna.