Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Switch
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Switch
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
I'm looking for a switch. It allows us to switch from the front AC to the rear AC. We only have a 30 amp service so can only use one ac at a time. switch is broken off

Thanks

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
Jim, There should me a manufacturer and/or a model number on the switch body somwhere.... Maybe you could use that number at an electrical wholesale house to match it up to something current? Good luck!!!

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
You have another Barth full power switch unit that routes full amperage to each unit. This is the time to install a power relay and low amp switch. If you go to a wholesale electrical supply house you can get a unit that will work without the problems of high amperage (and the heat and losses the switch carried). Your a/c probably carries 30 amps at start up and 8 to 10 while running. The unit nameplate will tell you the load range. Any residential electrician will have the tools and knowledge to make this change for you, or tell you how to install it.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
The switch is a 'Kraus & Naimer B17. Tom, since I know less than nothing about electricity, maybe you could explain to me what a 'power relay' is. And what do you mean by a Barth 'full power' switch? Is this something that Barth did a lot that needs to be upgraded? The existing switch has about 6 different wires going to it.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Kraus & Naimer Inc.

760 New Brunswick Road
Somerset, NJ 08873

Phone: 732-560-1240
Fax: 732-560-8823

E-Mail: salesUSA@krausnaimer.com

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/11
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Jim, a full power switch is one that switches the full load through its contacts. A power relay is one rated to carry the heavy startup current of a motor. By using a power relay you shift the current and associated heat to the relay contacts instead of the switch. This is similar to the typical headlight circuit that works better and saves wear when a relay is installed.

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

Posts: 190 | Location: Crystal River, FL | Member Since: 08-16-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jim Thanks for the info! I am a real klutz, where can I find that switch?
Thanks;
Lou

Posts: 4 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 02-27-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom K:
You have another Barth full power switch unit that routes full amperage to each unit. This is the time to install a power relay and low amp switch. If you go to a wholesale electrical supply house you can get a unit that will work without the problems of high amperage (and the heat and losses the switch carried). Your a/c probably carries 30 amps at start up and 8 to 10 while running. The unit nameplate will tell you the load range. Any residential electrician will have the tools and knowledge to make this change for you, or tell you how to install it.

Tom,
Called Kraus & Naimer. To replace switch is going to set me back $232.94. Or should I say would set someone back $232.94+. I think I am going toward the power relay & low amp switch. I wonder how much this cost Barth back in the day? Going to an electrical motor company to see if they can fix me up w/the relay & low amp switch. Will let you know.

Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
A 30A relay (double-pole double throw) and socket should cost around $50-60. This relay would power one A/C when the coil is relaxed and the other when energized.

A household light switch can be used to energize the relay. Should it fail, the socket makes the relay easy to replace.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
OK, Being a frugal New Englander, how about putting in a 20 amp outlet and two twenty amp appliance plug/cords from the air conditioners at that same box the switch was in, and just plug in the one you want to work at that time, cost about 20 bucks.

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Here are pics of wiring of switch. How do I do what you guys are talking about? I need details of what to do with each wire & where I should put them & what switches go where etc. I need the big red markers to guide me through the process. Just ask BillNY he walked me through rewiring starter, battery, & much more. He had to hold my hand through it but I'm a good listener if you don't mind the questions.
Thanks,
Tere

FYI the switch is good but the toggle is shot.

switch:

Total of 4 wires going to switch:

wire #1-Gen, #2-110 box:

#2-110 box, Wire #3-rear A/C:

wire #4 to switch box-front A/C:

looking down on switch from back: box

110 panel:

info on 110 panel:

inside panel box:

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Not the best way, but you could tie the circuit together and make sure you only use one unit at a time. You would be relying on your circut breaker to trip if both are turned on.

Doorman.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doorman:
Not the best way, but you could tie the circuit together and make sure you only use one unit at a time. You would be relying on your circut breaker to trip if both are turned on.

Doorman.

Can I still use this switch? If so how do I wire it? I'm attaching pics of switch & a rough drawing of how it was wired.
thanks,
Tere

1/4 turn to right-rear A/C, 1/4 turn to left-front A/C-period!!

I can continue to use switch until my nub wears off.

Better pic of my now $232 switch.

Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Jim, not having this switch I did not realize that this switch lets you run 1 AC off shore and other off gen. at same time. If switch works I would reinstall. Cheap fix 2 20a pigtales and 20a recptical(seperate outlets).

Doorman

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I'm keeping the switch as is. I will come back to tech talk when I need to have someone build a new knob when the "nub" finally gives out. I can run them both with gen on if worse comes to worse. Thanks for all your input.
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B