Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    The great oil debate. Syn Vs Natural
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

The great oil debate. Syn Vs Natural
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/14
Picture of Bubba Barth
posted
Ok So I thought I would start a new topic since we had a bit of thread drift. There was a comment "Synthetics are a waste of money on a diesel engine" to which I agreed. After some thought I remembered working for VW and their diesel motors come with Synthetic Diesel oil and has it's first oil change at 10k miles. And every 10 after that.

Being a small diesel motor you would think the synthetic fluids are better and longer lasting. This may be true for a new diesel. But for the larger diesel engines synthetic seems to be a waste.

I can not think of a manufacturer that does not send it's new vehicles out without synthetics in it. Although there are a few examples I am sure the trend is shifting towards synthetics.

We will all have examples of applying new liquid technology to old metal and finding it less than successful. The benefits generally outweigh the negatives.

I am interested in peoples experiences with synthetic vs Natural oils. Please be specific and supply data where possible.

Cheers
Meric

p.s. this should remain fun and light hearted we all have something to add. There is no one right answer that fits all applications.

Posts: 242 | Location: Sequim Washington | Member Since: 05-12-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Check the archives, one dead horse. Another perspective, http://www.powerandmotoryacht....oils-right-your-boat

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bubba Barth
posted Hide Post
Synthetic on a DD is a waste of money. Synthetics in a Corvette motor is necessary.
I have had Amsoil in a Dodge Caravan transmission A604 for 268k and no breakdowns. Those transmissions generally last about 100k tops.

I had a New VMax with 0 miles and a compression ratio of 12:1 and it got HOT. First oil change I switched to Amsoil and the heat was greatly reduced. Less heat = less wear.

I run Mobile 1 in all my gas motors including the lawn mower. The heat the engine produces is less in every case.

Cheers
Meric

Posts: 242 | Location: Sequim Washington | Member Since: 05-12-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bubba Barth
posted Hide Post
CCCtimtation This may be a dead horse but it's something to beat on.

Wine women and song I say.

Cheers
Meric

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Check the archives, one dead horse.

IS IT EVER!
enough, already

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bubba Barth
posted Hide Post
By all means delete the topic.

No worries..

Cheers
Meric

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Guys, Lets not be so quick to criticize a subject as being a waste of time, dead horse or to post snide comments. This should be a place to enjoy the LOVE and excitement of owning a GREAT machine and sharing the various experiences we all have thru this journey.

The world is NOT a static place and things are in continual change. There may be some new information that will come out from those that have the knowledge and experience in the REAL world not just from searching the internet!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted Hide Post
I personally enjoy the banter between synthetic and regular oil even though I've heard it perhaps 100 times it's still fun to talk about heck might hear something new. I've switched to synthetic in all my vehicles even the ole Barth's 454 gets a dose of synthetic, I even put it in my 1950 Farmall. As far as diesel engines go I've heard that because of the lubricating properties of diesel fuel synthetics are not needed, heck those diesels seem to run forever.

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I've checked the archives - I can't find any dead horses or instances where members have taken to posting stuff that wasn't friendly, helpful or lighthearted in nature.

I've only been here since 2003 so perhaps I've missed where that's occurred.

Perhaps by bringing up something we've discussed there might be a new angle or a different take on the matter.

You know, life is too short... If you have nothing CONSTRUCTIVE to add to the discussion then don't post. If this post is really a dead horse then won't it stand to reason that it'll die a natural death?

That's my 2 cents - now I've got to go back outside and start shoveling myself out. It looks like single digit temps are in store for me and I'm down one diesel truck mechanic.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
All is Good as long as I find no dead horse heads in my bed. cheers All who wander are not lost.

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
All who wander are not lost.

Some who wander ARE lost.
NOT all who wander are lost.

something to wonder about Sleeping

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I don't wander much, but I'm still lost... hide

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5190 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bubba Barth
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys.

There is a lot of new great technology out there. LED's included. Synthetics will change our lives as we know it. Or so I believe. Tires for example are going from natural rubber to a synthetic silicone type. Very cool stuff.

Dot 5 Synthetic brake fluid is non hydroscopic and under normal breaking conditions preforms very well. When a liquid is non hydroscopic it does not take on water. Old brake fluid does take on water and slowly gets a higher PH over time. This rots the braking system out from the inside out. Change brake fluid often stopping is just as important as going.

Cheers
Meric

Picture of Bubba Barth
posted Hide Post
I just got off the phone with a Chevron lube tech. Delo 100 is still being manufactured today for these motors with no intention of stopping production. The only known substitute product by Chevron I presume is URSA Super Plus SAE 40.

Certainly there must be another alternative. Just trying to stay as flexible as possible. Does Shell make one?

Cheers
Meric

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Some of the bus people with the DD 6v or 8v 2 strokes use Shell Rotella 40wt. I still use Delo 100 40wt. in mine.....sometimes a little hard to find but can usually order it from O"Reillys.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post