Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Newbie questions and problems
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Newbie questions and problems
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hi Barthmobilers...
We need help...
Just purchased an '85 Barth Regency (35ft.) which has sat at the bottom of a steep driveway for the past 6 years. What immediate things need doing to move it 20 miles where we can really get into it...from there she will be come home to Michigan.
We have viewed some suggestions here on this site, but need specifics to get her up and running...tires were fairly new when parked, and have been covered. We're excited about our Regency and look forward to meeting some of you in the future.
Thanks,
Don and Susan

Posts: 16 | Location: Allegan, Michigan | Member Since: 02-21-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Check the fluid levels, the condition of the belts & hoses (inspect hoses all along the frame, as engine coolant is piped to the dash heater core by them).

You should be OK for 20 miles, but you didn't mention if the coach has sat idle for the past 6 years; if it did, when you get to your fixit place, plan on replacing all fluids and filters (coolant, engine, transmission, brakes, generator oil, and differential; fuel and air filters - and coolant filter if so equipped - in addition to oil and transmission filters). All hoses and belts should be replaced. Tires are likely done. Brake calipers/cylinders and hoses should be inspected and cleaned.

Batteries may need replacement, and at the least terminals should be cleaned and preserved.

All chassis lube points should be greased.

And this is only a partial list...you may discover more things to do.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Hello Susan and Don,

You have purchased the coach that another member of our site looked at for me.

The coach in question has the 8.2l detroit with a MCC Chassis.

First thing, never-ever overheat the 8.2l detroit. If you do, you will need to replace the engine. Keep a critical eye out for any heat related issues.

The chassis parts, for the most part, are only available from Motor Coach Restoration. Get to know this company. Les Hoglan is the ONLY Supplier for these parts.

From what I saw and heard of in the reports, you should expect a little bit of a challenge. The seals at the transmission and wheels might start to leak.

When you get there start up the coach and pull it forward 1/2 rotation to allow the wheel seals to soak the bottom of the hub and hopefully keep the wheel seals from getting ripped up.

Expect some oil leaks and expect to add oil while driving. Make sure you stop often to check all fluid levels.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
I would add that you should run the engine for a half to one hour after you get home and then take a sample of the engine and transmission oil and send off for analysis. I used Titan Labs (http://www.titanlabs.net/) who were recommended to me by Caterpillar. You send for the sample kits and they come with full instructions. Do this before you change any oil and they can tell you of problems with fluid leaking into the crankcase or other contaminants before the expensive failures occur. I got a clean analysis and then relaxed for the trips we make.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guys, thanks for the suggestions...we will certainly follow your advice.
In regard to interstate travel from Ga.to Mi., generally speaking, do we use trucker's lanes? Truthfully, we'd rather use an alternate route off interstates in case she breaks down.(And I feel pretty confident that she will!) Sure don't want to be in the midst of heavy traffic and have the old girl give up the ghost...

Posts: 16 | Location: Allegan, Michigan | Member Since: 02-21-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Bring extra fuel filters with you and learn to change them. You must fill your filter with diesel before you install it.

The good news, your motor is not that critical when it comes to getting airbound. If you have air in it, it should crank thru.

You would want to take the Interstates in case you do breakdown. The best chance for real roadservice is closer to the interstates.

You should also sign up for a road rescue or Good Sams membership before getting on the road.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
In addition to the advice you have, check out a service called "Truck Down". It is a web site that directs trucker to road and repair service for Big Rigs like diesels anywhere in the country. You can locate the services along your route and print it out to take with you, or use the web site via your mobile phone (if you have web access) anywhere. They saved a lot of money by locating close and expert service that didn't take advantage of rv travelers.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I think I've read that if a tire has been under load for a long period of time without moving, it gets 'out of round'. I'm sure you plan to drive fairly slow 50ish max to prevent major mishaps to wheel wells, other cars, & etc if there were a tire to blow. You should drive for some period of time before higher speeds are reached to get tires back into round. Some of you other experts out there may be able to give a more detailed formula to follow. We live in Madisonville Tn & if you would like to stop in we would love to look over your coach with you to see if anything jumps out at us. We are 10 miles east of Interstate 75 at exit 60, the Sweetwater exit half way between Chattanooga & Knoxville & would be able to meet you. Let us know.
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
By the way we have a '85, 28' Regal.
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim and Tere for the kind invite...
Will just have to hold onto your information for now because we're not sure when we're going down to work on her or when we'll be going north. However, if we run into a problem near you, we'll sure give a holler...but will probably push thru if all's going well.
We have AAA, and Don is extending it to RV coverage. Also, we signed up for Walmartrvparking, and joined Good Sam.
That's it for now...
Don and Susan

Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"we'd rather use an alternate route off interstates in case she breaks down"
Bad idea. Re our resident guru: "You would want to take the Interstates in case you do breakdown. The best chance for real roadservice is closer to the interstates".
Interstates have shoulders and multiple -or at least two- lanes, and a disabled rig parked on/partly off the highway is visible from a reasonable distance; mile markers are near enough to know where you are when you call for repair; and repair services are near the interstates. A 35' Regency is too large to chance a breakdown on a secondary road.
"do we use trucker's lanes?" I use the middle lane of 3, and the right lane otherwise: truckers behind (moving faster than) me will pass on my left. If you're cruising faster than right lane traffic use the left and let the zoomy cars pass on your right when it is clear; you're too big and unwieldy, esp with a toad, to be moving from lane to lane.
Preachment: If you're new to big-rig-RVs -and your 35' qualifies as "big rig"- be advised it takes a looong distance to stop!. The floaty suspension and comfortable seats, with trucks going fast, may lull you into a comfort zone beyond your stopping range.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/17
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
Don & Sue:

What a coincidence! I've been on this site since last year and I just came across your recent posts. Pretty exciting to see you will be bringing a Regency back to Good Ol' Allegan. I can't wait to see it.

I'm sure you've already found out that this site is populated by a lot of folks who will knock themselves out trying to help you. Looks like you've already learned it's OK to ask questions.

Best of luck with your new coach.

Lou Thierwechter

Posts: 467 | Location: Allegan, MI. | Member Since: 08-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Lou...
Small world...
Yes, we'll give you a call when we get her home.
Are you and Barb "Barthmobilers"?
Have a Happy Easter, and we'll talk to you later.
Susan

posted Hide Post
Hi all,
Don and our son Mike went down to Georgia to bring our '85 Regency home to Michigan after her 6 years of setting in one spot. Did all the things recommended on this site and after 2 days of work started home on Monday morning. First it was the ignition, then the power steering pump, then the return hose on the pump, then the looong hose, and an ongoing oil leak that may be a main seal.(Don't know yet.) Rear passenger side shock is shot, but they just pulled into the driveway about an hour ago.
She's a mess, but we love a challenge since we restore pre-'68 VWs...she'll be a beauty again when we get done with her!
Thanks to Bill, our moderator for the help...
Later,
Don and Susan

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/17
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
they just pulled into the driveway about an hour ago

Welcome home!

Posts: 467 | Location: Allegan, MI. | Member Since: 08-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post