Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Diesel Pushers
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Diesel Pushers
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Picture of Cantrade
posted Hide Post
Bruce,

Thanks for the reenforcement of the "no problem" handling a shorter diesel pusher.

Does the Breakaway have 19.5 or 22.5 wheels? I am assuming they were mostly Sparton chassis based but am not sure which wheel/tires are standard. Also I think they are not air suspension equipped and instead have springs.

Don

1993 Breakaway 33'. Cummins 6BTA5.9 with Bosch injection. Upped to 260 HP or so. Third owner.

"If it's not worth doing, it's not worth doing well!!" Cummings Law

Posts: 140 | Location: Central New Mexico | Member Since: 04-18-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I think all or almost all Breakaways are on springs, but they seem to be loaded properly. Don't get overly concerned about air vs. spring suspension. Keep in mind except for Lincolns all other cars are riding on springs.

GM Bus started the air suspension back in 1953 when they introduced the PD4104. Air is really great where your loads vary a great deal as they will in a passenger bus. The air allowed the 4104 to maintain the same ride and ride height from empty to full load.

Truck lines are moving rapidly to air for the same reasons that GM did. But tractors are still running springs on the front steer axle, but putting air on the tandems.

Personal experience is first two MHs on springs. Next a GM4106 which I converted into a MH on air. Then a Newell on air which we still own. And last a 30' Breakaway on springs.

One of the interesting features of the Spartan chassis is that they put teflon blocks between the springs. This eliminates spring friction found on most leaf springs.

anyway in summery I am not unhappy with my spring ride.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Don, most Breakaways have 19.5 wheels. Some of the 33 ft Breakaways have 22.5 wheels. We have learned from experience with Barth to never say "all". There is always an exception.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Don,
Nick and Gary have hit it right on the head! 19.5 diameter tires and a Spartan spring chassis.
Bruce

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cantrade
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I am realizing that the coaches are all different even within a "model" or type. That is the beauty of custom coaches and the special order routine.

Bruce, does the 190HP Cummins perform well at altitude or have you ever had it in the western U.S.? I had one in a truck and on long mountain passes it seemed to not quite have the power required to pull the trailer. I think some of the problem was the gear ratios and final drive. I now have a 4.10 and it has more low end torque. I think the 4 and 6 speed Allison transmissions are better adapted for MH and towing use.

Don

1993 Breakaway 33'. Cummins 6BTA5.9 with Bosch injection. Upped to 260 HP or so. Third owner.

Posts: 140 | Location: Central New Mexico | Member Since: 04-18-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My cummins 5.9 has been enhanced to just under 300HP and it like the western hills just fine. Works really well since I changed transmissions from a 545 to an allison 2000 with a lockup torque converter and overdrive.

My finals are 3.73.

5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cantrade
posted Hide Post
Hi Gary,

That sounds like the hot set-up. I think the tranny makes lots of difference. A 3.73 is a good ratio for highway as well as slower speeds. I think anything in the 3.50 range is too high and, of course, 4.10 ratios bring the engine rpm up high when you try to keep up with highway traffic.

I think your configuration is just about what we would be interested in. Maybe a 32' length.

Don

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Not to jump a thread, but gary I would love to talk to you about your performance upgrades. Did you have anything posted on this site about what you did?
Bruce

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check under upgrades and search for transmission upgrade.

Forums > Barth Upgrades and Improvements > Transmission upgrade

5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Our 33' Breakaway drives great! Barths were built to very high standards. This one handles much better than my old 27' class c.

Good luck,
Rick

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post