Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    m/m
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

m/m
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
I'm now starting the whole thing on ride height, springs, etc and downloaded Relatives P series chasis thing, but being somewhat mechanically challenged, not sure what I'm doing. I'll start with this. This was produced as a 178" chasis by Chev in Sept 84. The GVWR is 14500#, front 5000#, rear 9840#. CAT scale weight was 5040# front and 8860# rear. The actual wheelbase is 196". I don't know what the chasis number is and am not sure where to find it. VIN # is 1GBKP37WF5F3304310. so I know it's a motor home chasis. I believe there are 7 leafs in the rear. I know the previous owner added one to each side. Since this chasis was modified after Chevrolet made it, are the front and rear axle weight ratings wrong? There are air bags in the front and the previous owner had air bags installed in the rear. This thing is much higher in the rear than in the front. What do you all think any of this means? Any help would be appreciated.
Jim

------------------

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I think a lot of these P-30s have been stretched, & if you crawl under, you'll probably find a place where channels have been welded in.

A tag axle adds to the rear gvwr, but not the front. I have the same chassis as yours. It has been stretched, & I have a tag as well. Mine scales @ 5760# in front, 11,640# rear.

My tag has air bags, and there are Firestone Ride-Rite air bags on the drive axle. I haven't experimented with pressures in the Ride-Rites, I've just kept them where a hand-written note in the book says.

You're close to your gvwr right now. The rear air bags add some weight-carrying capacity & probably a degree of stability as well.

I would double check the front ride height, and not worry much about the rear, as long as the rig handles well. There's a recent post (try a search) that gives the recommended front air bag pressures for various weights.

I think that high-quality, proper-size & load range tires, inflated for the weight you carry, are most important when you're at the gvwr limit.

You didn't mention how you were loaded when you had it weighed. You should weigh it with a normal load of fuel, passengers, & the junk we all carry.

If you don't have a tag, a track bar (panhard rod) helps with tail-wagging, as do heavy duty rear springs. Heavy duty shocks, & oversize sway bars help, as well. Much depends on how secure you are with the way it handles. Ain't none of these things that qualify as sports cars from that standpoint..

I think the standard P-30 rear spring has 10 leaves. Bill h has a better memory than I, on that subject, & he may have further words of wisdom, as well.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I thought this was the Male to Male thread... Sounds a little gay huh?

------------------
http://www.truckroadservice.com/

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post