Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Kwyatt Generators and hard starting
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Kwyatt Generators and hard starting
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/17
Picture of Lou
posted
Starting our Kwyatt Genset over the past few months has been getting more difficult to the point where lately I’ve had to prime the carb with starter fluid to get it going. Once the genset started it ran fine. It even restarted if done right away.

In discussing this with MWrench the vaporizer/regulator became the suspected culprit. But being at my limit of technical ability (if not past it) I had the guts of it rebuilt this morning, using a kit I got from Scrubber City and the Cummins dealer in Grand Rapids, MI.

Here’s what the inside looked like:

Apparently this “goop” comes from the additive they put in propane to make it smell bad as one way to detect leaks (as Jimmy Durante said “Da nose knows”). But the resulting gel apparently prevented liquid fuel from getting through the vaporizer/regulator in sufficient form and/or quantity to allow the regulator to properly perform.

Now the genset starts right up, although I’m going to try it over the next few weeks to be sure the problem is solved. For what it’s worth, I didn’t start the genset for a couple of weeks before the rebuild, and when the tech was finished it started immediately, which leads me to believe we've got it. Just to be sure, I’ll be installing new plugs properly gapped for propane (.018 on Ed’s recommendation) to be sure we got ‘er done.

Lou

Posts: 467 | Location: Allegan, MI. | Member Since: 08-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of madrone
posted Hide Post
I think you find this problem can be solved by running your propane tank completely empty at least
every once in a while. Mercaptan (the stink) is heavier than propane and accumulates in the bottom of the tank, refilling before the tank is empty gradually builds up more than needed for safety purposes.

Posts: 69 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 11-26-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Another likely culprit are the heavier ends not scrubbed out in the distillation process. These over time can cause the same varnish deposits seen in carburetors.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post