Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Towing front wheel drive vehicle with lube pump
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Towing front wheel drive vehicle with lube pump
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com11/10
Picture of Bill & Sonja
posted
Now that our Barth is running beautifully (after finally applying all the advice found here)and after years of trouble free towing of Jeeps I find myself looking for trouble. Has any one here had any experience with equipping your tow vehicle with a Remco lube pump. Remco tells me the vehicle is towable with their LP-1 set up and I have been gathering parts to deal with the job. However, I occasionally run across horror stories of folks having real nasty problems. Any thoughts out there?

1987 Newell ~ 40ft Widebody
2x f/o's: 1988 Barth - 33 Ft. SE tag axle & 1976 Barth - 24 Ft.

Posts: 115 | Location: Calgary - Alberta & B.C., Canada | Member Since: 09-17-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
My information from my fellow 4wheelers, is that any Jeep information you get has to be specifically for your year and model Jeep with your model transmission and your model transfer case.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com11/10
Picture of Bill & Sonja
posted Hide Post
I've towed a 87 Jeep Wagoneer automatic with selectrac, a 92 YJ (Jeep Wrangler) with 5 speed an a 97 TJ (Jeep Wrangler) with 5 speed. All without any problems.
Now I'm gearing up to tow an 87 Cadillac Allante', this is the one that scares me a bit. A company specializing in towing says no problem with a lube pump installed to circulate Transmission fluid and Roadmaster makes a bracket for the tow bar. My concern is the occasional story I've heard about failure of the lube pumps.

1987 Newell ~ 40ft Widebody
2x f/o's: 1988 Barth - 33 Ft. SE tag axle & 1976 Barth - 24 Ft.

Posts: 115 | Location: Calgary - Alberta & B.C., Canada | Member Since: 09-17-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
First no personal history, but have talked to a lot of owners. There appears to be no problem with Chrysler or GM vehicles. Have heard problems with Ford products, but no facts.

Many Chrysler products can be towed 4 down pumpless with no problems except Chrysler will void your warrenty.

Many Chev & Pontiacs are factory approved for towing pumpless. Open the hood and if you can not find a transmission fill tube it is probably towable.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post