Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Water methanol injection
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Water methanol injection
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
Saw this on the 'net. Is it worth getting?

Water-Methanol Injection

Water-Methonal Injection is the process in which a mixture of water and methanol are injected at a high pressure causing a finely atomized mist to be shot into the intake tract on its way to the combustion chamber. The benefits of this type of injection include lower EGT's (exhaust gas temperatures) and increased power.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It's been around since before WWII, and was used liberally in the piston-driven fighters of WWII. It would add a boost of ~200-400 HP for a couple of minutes to engines in those fighters. Generally, it was labelled "Combat Emergency Power".

While EGTs are lowered, the cooling system had to deal with the higher cylinder temps, so in some aircraft, 30-45 seconds was the most they could use continuously.

From other diesel sites, I've gleaned that some folks install them, but in every case I've seen, it was to compete in drags or pulls.

Short answer: IMHO, not worth the money for motorhomes.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Edelbrock and Spearco used to sell them. So did John Geraghty, the engine tech guy for Trailer Life and Motor Home magazines, and a knock-down killer dyno tune expert.

They worked pretty well on carbed gassers. Lots of people with turbos use them now.

We used it regularly on DC6 and Convair 240/340 airliners and military transports for 400 added take off horsepower. It was called ADI, anti detonation injection. Neither the water nor alcohol increased power, but prevented detonation at higher power settings. The alcohol was to prevent freezing.

I don't remember any shortening of engine life, but any power increase has to strain things a little more. The R2800 was rock-solid, however.

The P51 had WEP, war emergency power, which (on later models) broke some flimsy wire on the throttle quadrant. This upped the supercharger boost to save a pilot in a bad situation. On earlier models, WEP was effected by the boost lever after the throttle was wide open. This added almost 1000 hp, depending on altitude. Pilots were cautioned to limit their WEP time to less than 5 minutes, and a log was kept. Total WEP allowed was several hours, after which time, a teardown was mandatory.

I only worked on two P51s but I don't remember any water/alcohol injection. I think the latest models had it, though. I suspect some of the racers have added it, too.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of RichieC
posted Hide Post
Methanol injection works awesome on the Buick Grand Nationals. We can't run more than about 15 lbs of boost on 94 octane, but alchy allows us to run about 20 to 22 lbs of boost on the street.

Posts: 150 | Location: Nanaimo, B.C. | Member Since: 04-12-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post