Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    shore power short
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

shore power short
 Login now/Join our community

posted
here is a puzzle for ya,

I got my M to M 30 amp wire in action and I get a humming sound from the generator for a/b 20 seconds then my house breaker flips. I've tried turning everything off on the rv but still I get the hum.

also, I have a charged house battery but none of my 12v items have power unless the generator is on.

hired a mobile rv repair guy and he was stumped. said he'd have to do some research.

my guess is that some isolator is needed to seperate the generator and the battery for when shore power is used...?

but my pro rv guy is not able to come back till next week. he only charges $40 an hr and so far I've had to pay nothing.... but that equals the results.

paul schuster
1972 22' in santa cruz

Posts: 29 | Location: austin, tx | Member Since: 07-21-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
On my 1976 I have a breaker box that I have to manually switch . In the up position or on position is for operating the generator,
down position for using shore power. One time I switched to the up position or gen and the gen let out a loud humming noise.

Ralph Glover

Ps On mine I have to manually plug the shore power cord into the gen recepticle to have power when operating the gen.

Posts: 167 | Location: LaFontaine, IN,USA | Member Since: 07-03-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so the mobile RV repair guy came back. he spent yet another hr+ poking and prodding his meter here and there. I could see his temper was rising and the sun was causing him to sweat a bit. finally he gave up once again. he vowed to do some research, call his old boss to try and figure out the shore power problem.

but then he informed me that he'd forgot to ask for payment for his last visit. so now he is asking for $80 for both visits. this might seem cheap for 3 hrs of his time and the service call. but the only thing I've received from this guy is a handfull of amusing comments like, "boy! this has me stumped", "Paul, I can't figure this out at all" and the very amusing "this doesn't make me look very good". although I suspect that last comment was a freebie and was not intended for my ears.

now I don't mind paying for diagnostic time. but I expect a diagnosis in return. any bonehead can show up and waste a few hrs only to admit they really have no idea what to do. and this guy left the first time stating that he was going to do research and make some calls. instead he obviously came back w/ no fresh ideas and just wasted my time and $.

so now we've made an appointment w/ a real rv service center. they assured me they have experience on old barth and did not sound like my problem was any real mystery.

NOW, my a/c stopped! I mean like it just lost power. I'd ran it for an hr or so and it just stopped. Ichecked the fuses and all seemed ok. I waited for an hr and went back and still no a/c. oh well, at least I've already got the appointment for the service guy and who knows, could be related to my electrical problem.

Posts: 29 | Location: austin, tx | Member Since: 07-21-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post