Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Ethanol in gasoline
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Ethanol in gasoline
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted
It is getting harder to find gas without ethanol. Does the midgrade or high test gas have ethanol? sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Even gasoline that is not so labeled is likely to contain ethanol. And, it will vary from batch to batch. Have you noticed that a lot of tanker trucks are unbranded lately?

You can test by filling a glass jar 1/8 full with water. Mark the level. Then add some gasoline, leaving enough air space for shaking. Then shake vigorously and let it sit for a moment. If the water level is the same, there is no ethanol.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I did a Google search for ethanol in gasoline & found a website - pure-gas.org - that ostensibly lists ethanol-free gas stations by state & in Canada.

I personally don't understand the paranoia about ethanol in gasoline. It may have had some bad effect in older fuel systems, but I've never personally had a problem, even in my 1990 Barth.

Indeed it gives slightly lower mileage than pure gasoline, but unless you have a pure gas station next door, it hardly seems worthwhile searching for it. The nearest pure gas station to me is 30 miles away, & no doubt charges at least 15 cents more per gallon than the Costco down the block. My car is a 2006 with f.i., not carburation. Been using Costco 10% ethanol without problems since it was new.

Each of us, of course, is entitled to his own personal bugbear.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
I believe marine gas is ethanol free. The trouble will be pulling your Bath up to the docks. Due to the affinity of ethanol to attract moisture, most marine engines caution to use non ethanol fuel.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
The tree-huggers in the Maryland legislature are forcing ethanol use statewide, including the huge Chesapeake Bay boating industry. It's been wreaking havoc with plastic tank systems, creating globs of snot that clog everything up Frowner

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
It's pretty hard on fiberglass motorcycle tanks, too. It actually softens them. It also softens and loosens most brands of tank sealant that may be lurking in there.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com12/10
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
Living in the midwest, ethanol is very common and the majority of people have been using it for ten years or more. I asked the PO of my Regal what he used (he is from North Dakota) and he said he has always used ethanol and never had any problems. I personally, with over a decade of use have never had any problems, and no problems with gas line freeze in the winter. As Olroy mentioned the only thing I have ever heard was some problems with older rubber lines which then clogged some filters. Replace with new lines and filters.. no reoccuring problems. 60's some 70's. It also does produce slightly lower mpg. Usually if the ethanol is 10 cents cheaper that is where your break even line is. Anything more than 10 cents and your ahead. Of course there is also the issue of buying foreign oil from people who don't like us all that much....but that is a differant topic

Disclaimer: Ethanol is a big business in the midwest... but facts are still facts

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Posts: 227 | Location: Aberdeen, So. Dak. | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post