Barthmobile Portal
Onan generator alert

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/3551092052

04-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Richard_Muise
Onan generator alert
On a recent trip with Bill G., my Onan generator would only output 94 volts. This occurred after two days of rain and high wind. When I got home, I called a friend who is an Onan certified tech. He explained that there's a bulleting on older Onan generators and their voltage regulators having problems when they're wet. I plan to replace the voltage regulator, even though drying out the gen-set restored the output to full voltage.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis
04-28-2007, 11:52 PM
Rusty
Replacement is a wise idea, but I wonder what the true issue is (how an enclosed genset would get wet).

Hopefully the swap will be at no charge to you...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields
06-24-2010, 09:42 AM
robert and kimberly delucia
hey having same problem !! been hunting this post did the reg cure your problem? onan genny a diesel? i have the diesel 3 cyc onan !!did you find the reg at a good price !!! tks
06-25-2010, 07:42 AM
robert and kimberly delucia
well still working on my problem but ran across this off another forum if there was a problem with rain, damp or foggy conditions that cause it to short at the brushes and cause voltage to be off.
06-25-2010, 11:15 PM
Rusty
Shorting at the brushes is a serious design flaw, as the brushes only supply excitation current to the armature (relatively small current).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields