Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Roof Top A/C
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Roof Top A/C
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted
It's nearing time for those of us who live in the northern states to be pulling our coaches out of storage and reintroduce them to the real world.

What type of preventive maintenance should be done to the Roof Top A/C Units on an anual basis, before the months of hard running is upon us, in order to get the best performance and longevity out of the units???

Cleaning, Adjusting, Re-Charging, etc...

ANY and ALL information is welcome to add to our anual "To-Do" Lists.

Thanks!

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Since the compressor units are hermetically sealed, they're not in need of maintenance. The inside filters should be cleaned, and the rooftop parts checked for obstructions and other crud.

Only the blower fan could actually need maintenance (on the motor bearings), but they usually aren't easy to get to. Down heah in de Souf, I run mine every month, but that's obviously impractical for those in the Great White Nort', ya.

Before layup, the unit should be run for at least an hour to circulate the oil in the compressor can.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Medic37:

What type of preventive maintenance should be done to the Roof Top A/C Units on an anual basis, before the months of hard running is upon us, in order to get the best performance and longevity out of the units???

Cleaning, Adjusting, Re-Charging, etc...

Thanks!

I pull my shrouds every so often to check for bird nests and chaff inside and underneath. Also, check the shroud for cracks. Little cracks become big cracks and then it goes away.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My rear AC would not work most of the time. When I had other repairs made to he coach I had the AC serviced. I was told it only needed the top cover pulled off and the unit oiled, this should be done every two years as a min.

Posts: 37 | Location: Salem, Oregon, USA | Member Since: 06-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post