Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Replacement shocks
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Replacement shocks
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted
Has anyone found a number for Monroe, Bilstein or other manufacturer for replacement shocks for the Gillig chassis on a 1993 32' Regency? I have the Gillig number but want to avoid the dreaded OEM high cost sole source if I can.
Thanks
Hawk-57

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
seen in passing, something maybe related...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SHOCK-MONROE-NEW-TRUCK-A...dZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 528 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Hawk, I have a Gillig chassis on mine. I got the number from my book on the chassis and called gillig in california, and they gave the new numbers on the shocks, koni, and I called koni in kentucky and gave them the new numbers and had them shipped to tme. Free shipping by saying I seen the ad in FMCA magizane and about $600 for the four shocks. Very nice ride now. Sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Hawk-57 the Gillig # is generic, call them, give your chassis # and they will give you the correct # also ask, how much, I bought my Konis from Gillig and paid less than Sky from Koni. Some times we can out smart ourselves. Tom

Posts: 257 | Location: Carolina Shores Nc | Member Since: 12-12-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Hawk-57, Since we have almost the same coach, Does yours have 4 rear air bags and 4 rear shocks? The rear suspension on mine is made by Ridewell Corp., model RAD227WB and is not covered in the Gillig manual. There is a note in the manual from the original owner about the rear suspension. I don't know if it was a special order or what just makes getting the right parts more interesting.
Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Nick: Mine has two shocks and two air bags , unless I am missing something. Do you have a tag axle? My Gillig Manual covers the suspension exactly so I think yours must have been a special order. It would be interesting to compare the ride in a coach that has two more of everything.
Thanks to all of the replies - guess Gillig is the best route. They did get me other parts promptly in the past with good service, and they had everything on the coach from the day it was built.
Hawk-57

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-57:
Do you have a tag axle?
Hawk-57

No tag axle. Rear suspension has an air bag and a shock mounted in the front and the rear of the axle on both sides. I just figured it's double the expense!! It does ride nice though and doesn't sway side to side. How about it, Bill N.Y.,as a Truck man, are you familiar with this suspension?
Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Hawk, check with gillig and koni also. When I bought mine, gillig was about $50 more and was charging for shipping. The shocks for the rear were FSD's and adjustable for the front. sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
This thread goes back aways but I am having to replace the rear rear air bags. Yes, there are front rear air bags. This is the suspension on our coach. It is made by Ridewell Corp, model RAD-227-WB. here See some of us get to buy twice as many bags and shocks, etc. Mad
Nick