Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Barth Brakes
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Barth Brakes
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I just purchased an 82 Barth. I have redone the brakes but the peddle still seems soft. Is this normal...or am I missing something?

Posts: 2 | Location: McBain, MI | Member Since: 09-24-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
If you have hydroboost your pedal will feel softer. I went through this when I first bought the Barth. I drove my truck shop crazy, had them bleed the whole system, adjust everything, & it still felt soft. They said that's the way it is. For awhile I would pump the pedal to get it up where I thought it should be, but eventually I got used to the soft feel.

I don't know whether it's real, or imagination, but it feels as though when you step on the pedal & hold it, the brakes gradually grip tighter. That would kind of make sense, as the hydroboost feeds hydraulic pressure from the power steering pump.

My truck shop reminded me that the P-30 brake system is the same as a 1-ton Chev. pickup. No way is it going to stop like your average passenger car or light truck. Your driving has to change to compensate

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
To start off, what chassis is your 82?

I would suggest that anyone with any doubts get expert professional evaluation on a Hydroboost. Or buy a Chevy manual and follow it explicitly. This is critical stuff.

This applies to brakes in general, but goes double for a Hydroboost system.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
If you are working with something on that P30 chassis, your only choice of improvement of braking is going to be with the choice of brake pads.
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 528 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post