Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Coach won't shift into Drive
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Coach won't shift into Drive
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/09
Picture of towerguy
posted
Anyone have any ideas on why the coach won't shift into drive? The indicator shows in trans is in Neutral but it won't shift into any other gear and we're stranded. The air horns aren't working either. All other items on the dash is working as it should. "Hep me Hep me" Bill

Bill, Sharron, Hayley and Bridgett

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
1990 38' Regency Widebody (RDG-B)
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Eric D.
posted Hide Post
Did you pull the YELLOW square button on the dash OUT?Air pressure is up to normal?

Posts: 44 | Location: Bay Area | Member Since: 02-21-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Panda is on the right track. you MUST have your air pressure up before the brakes will release and allow you to shift out of neutral. on mine the yellow knob pushes in to release. pull out to set.

mike foster
83-35' regency 8.2 detroit towing 98 cherokee classic 4x4

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
Air pressure is normal although at times the alarm (low pressure) comes on and so does the low pressure light.

The transmission selector would not shift out of neutral and the odd thing is the air horns stopped working. I was looking around the engine bay and a friend pushed the horn and it suddenly worked. So naturaly I attempted to select drive and it worked. At this point, everything failed again so the transmission is now stuck in gear. The brakes will release but I can't get it out of drive. And guess what? With the trans in gear, you can't shut of the engine. the other thing I noticed was the gas pedal was either un-responsive or not responsive enough.

The yellow brake release was in its correct position. Even with the low pressure alarm sounding, the yellow knob could be pushed in and the brakes would release. If the pressure was actually too low, the brakes would not release.

1990 38' Regency Widebody [RDG-B), Anniversary Edition, Cat 3208TA - 300HP, Gillig Chassis, Side Aisle

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Posts: 480 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Member Since: 04-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
At the moment, I have shut the main switch off in the engine bay in order shut down the engine. I didn't check to see if that returned the trans selector to neutral or not but at least I am able to override the ignition key.

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

posted Hide Post
Towerguy, can you hear air leaking anywhere under the coach or in the engine compartment? Compressor belt tight? sounds like an air leak or a corroded electrical connection. My barth is totaly different setup than yours so hopefully one of the guys with nearer your vintage will jump on and see this. Stay calm, it is most likely a small issue although I know it's BIG one right now.

mike foster

Posts: 149 | Location: earlham,iowa-usa | Member Since: 01-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another thought might be to call Bill N.Y.
His number is listed in his sig. and i think i remember him inviting calls in such situations.
He will have better ideas than many (ME) of us if he is available.

mike foster

Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
I couldn't hear any air leaking but I do need to figure out where the tank is and check it. I can't imagine this is a switch out of place but who knows. It seems more electrical in nature. The toggle switch won't change gears but the indicator is working and shows what gear it is in. At the same time it seems air pressure is an issue since the horn wouldn't work and the wipers were erratic

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

posted Hide Post
Any leak like you appear to have should be audible. Try moving the airhoses to the filter from your compressor. I had a braided steel air hose wear through last year. I could hear a slight hiss until I moved the line and then it was very loud and easy to locate. (94 Breakaway)
Stu Allen

Posts: 52 | Location: Staunton VA | Member Since: 01-27-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
Can this be checked without the engine running?

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

posted Hide Post
Only if there is still air in the system and tanks.

mike foster

posted Hide Post
Towerguy, have you tried to call Thomfeit?
He might have an answer if you haven't.

mike foster

Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
I called Thom, he had never run into that problem.

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

Picture of towerguy
posted Hide Post
Now I'm wondering how to get the transmission into neutral so I can fire up the Cat and check the air tank. I'm afraid this is way over my head and will require a mechanic that won't be available until Tuesday.

"Stagecoach"
Anniversary Edition
Cat 3208TA - 300HP
Gillig Chassis
Side Aisle

posted Hide Post
I've been looking on the internet for an answer for you. not uch luck. one guy mentioned that with a simulir proble he set the brake,disconnected the pos side of the start battery and reconnected. this apperantly reset the tranny to neutral. don't know but might be worth a try.
RUSTY? any ideas?

mike foster