Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Battery Charger Switch on Dash
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Battery Charger Switch on Dash
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/15
Picture of mstober
posted
Here is a switch on the left side of the dash (new-to-me 1994 Medical Clinic, 30', Chevy454/P30, Onan 4.5k gen on the driver side which runs the coach lights and outlets, Onan 7k on the passenger side which seems to only run the roof a/c).

Looks like the writing says:

(top) Org Cord Charging Battery
(bottom) Org Cord Off

The switch has been a mystery to me but I'm beginning to figure it out. Maybe someone can shed more light on it.

My first "aha" was that Org might mean orange. There's an orange power cord (15 amp plug) coming up from under the 4.5k generator. It's separate from the shore power cable. Can't see where the cable goes. Doesn't seem to lead up to the converter or other electrical boxes in the coach.

I think it might be a separate charging system (separate from the converter) to allow it to charge from any 15 amp outlet. Apparently to make it work, you plug it in and flip up the switch. When not charging, flip the switch down.

Maybe the switch controls a relay? I mistakenly had it switched to "charging" for a couple weeks (but not plugged in) and noticed that the batteries ran down in about 3 days. Just flipped it to "off" today so I don't know if the draw from the relay was running the batteries down.

Anyone else have anything like this? The hand lettering and aftermarket style of switch makes me wonder if this is a later add-on, rather than a factory installed feature.

Any ideas on how would I test whether the setup is still functional? Where do you think they tucked away the charger and relay?

By the way, the coach has a fairly recent converter, an IOTA DLS-75 IQ3. I've plugged it into shore power and it charges the batteries quickly. So maybe this separate charging setup is unnecessary...but it would be nice when we're not camping to keep the batteries charged by just plugging in the 15 amp cord.

Any ideas or discussion will be appreciated! Hope you can see the picture.

Mark

https://lh3.googleusercontent....thmobile%20-%201.jpg

Posts: 11 | Location: CA/OH | Member Since: 02-21-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/15
Picture of mstober
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kevin for showing me how to do this!

Posts: 11 | Location: CA/OH | Member Since: 02-21-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Kev, heard you're looking for my camera. 413-330-7112

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post