Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Domestic water pump issues
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Domestic water pump issues
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
Well my "high tech" water pump died! This pump was supposed to vary the speed in order to keep the pressure even at various flow rates. It has NEVER worked correctly, starting and stopping and finally would settle down at a lower RPM if the flow rate was reduced.

I am going back to the "start-stop" design until I find or make a better solution for water delivery.

I have been looking at a Seaflo 5.5 GPM 60 PSI pump. Anyone have any experience with Seaflo products?

Thanks

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The PO on my coach replaced the pump with a FloJet VSD 4.5 (gpm) about 10 years ago. It failed last year, and I replaced it with a FloJet VSD 3.7, as the $85 premium for the 4.5 wasn't worth it. 3.7 gpm is fine for me.

I kept the 4.5, intending to overhaul it some day.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I have a Flo Jet pump also. Easy to install and service, works fine. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found the old water pump in my MESSY shop HAHA, upon disassembly of the Shurflo pump, I found the seal between the diaphrams and the wobble plate had failed and the motor was full of water. Not possible to rebuild it for sure.

I had replaced the old pump because it seemed like it was very weak and cycling was erratic. so it was with tongue in cheek that I put it back until I get a new pump.

However, as soon as I turned on the old pump, it primed and shut down very quickly. opening the kitchen faucet, the water was flowing at a very good rate and the response to water request was very rapid and steady. Sure wasn't that way when I removed it.

Thinking about it further. When I replaced the old pump with the new Shurflo pump, the new pump had a much higher current requirement. I added a separate 10 gauge power line to a relay mounted close to the pump. The switches now just have to drive the relay.

Well that was the issue of the problem years ago, the wire and two switches would not give sufficient current to the pump. I further verified by bypassing the relay and the old pump would not give a decent pressure or volume just like it did when I removed years ago.

I will use the old pump now but will get a new one for a spare. I know now that I can use an inexpensive pump and still get good water flow.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
This is a constant problem in sailboats: low water pressure and frequent pump failures, especially with the ITT and Jabsco brand pumps. The solution was to install as large an accumulator tank as you can fit near the pump. It allows an air cushion to be compressed that evens the flow in the system and keeps the pump from constantly recycling. They are sold in boat stores and online and are typically a plastic cyclinder or ball shaped device.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tom, Yes I saw those on line, I am going to check those out later. Right now with better wiring and relay as used with the previous pump, the original pump does a good job, the pressure and water flow is quite steady.

The pump that failed was a variable speed pump that was supposed to regulate the pressure and flow depending on demand, however, it never worked well. I had many conversations with the Shurflo tech people. It would always start and shut down briefly 1 or 2 times then settle at a lower RPM if demand was low.

Even though the newer pump was rated at a higher capacity, The older pump with better wiring is out performing the later design. The cycling is minimal and not problem yet.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:
Thanks Tom, Yes I saw those on line, I am going to check those out later. Right now with better wiring and relay as used with the previous pump, the original pump does a good job, the pressure and water flow is quite steady.

The pump that failed was a variable speed pump that was supposed to regulate the pressure and flow depending on demand, however, it never worked well. I had many conversations with the Shurflo tech people. It would always start and shut down briefly 1 or 2 times then settle at a lower RPM if demand was low.

Even though the newer pump was rated at a higher capacity, The older pump with better wiring is out performing the later design. The cycling is minimal and not problem yet.
the best way to nurse your water pump on motorhome,or sailboat,etc is to manually turn on and off during use.Proud owner of 34ft barth monarch.wally -van-isle.b.c.

Posts: 191 | Location: vancouver island bc | Member Since: 01-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post