Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Newer Barth Insulation
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Newer Barth Insulation
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Greetings: I just joined, presently own a Prevost Liberty conversion, a 1979 35 foot model one of only about 30 in existence. Looking for something newer, a bit more economical, cleaner, and if possible smaller.

I have a compass that is broken, I head to ski areas rather than beaches in the winter, skiing out of Bozeman Montana. Therefore I need a well insulated coach. I searched 18 pages to try and find out how the 90's Regency's and above are insulated, and can't find any information. There is a reference in an ad about a widebody regency with double insulation in the walls and ceiling, but nothing about the insulation is or how thick. So did Barth use foam either sprayed or rigid in the newer coaches, and if so how thick in walls, ceiling, and floor - and of course what does double thick mean?

Thanks all

Chuck

PS If Tamara's coach was available I would be all over it.

Posts: 73 | Location: Stillwater Mn | Member Since: 07-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Forums!

The newer coaches generally have a compact fiberglass insulation, about 1" thick. I'm not familiar with "double insulation", but the standard is quite effective.

AFAIK, the "Tamara Coach" is still available.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rusty, I sent Tamara an e-mail last night as soon as I saw the coach and she is having a buyer come in on Wednesday, if the deal falls through she will email me. Hopefully someone on this site is going to get a sweet deal.

Wish I knew more about the insulation type, will go to my local Home depot and see what I can see.

Chuckd

Posts: 73 | Location: Stillwater Mn | Member Since: 07-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/16
Picture of Kirk & Elise
posted Hide Post
I really don't know for sure, but taking apart the ceiling on my '89 Regal has revealed pink fiberglass insulation in certain areas and that silver-sided thin air bubble insulation glued onto the back of the luan plywood. Maybe this constitutes "double" insulation. The pink fiberglass could only be approx. 1.5" thick as that is about the thickness of the aluminum channel that comprises the wall/top construction. I have no idea what is under the floor.

Here's more.

Kirk

1989 22' Regal

Posts: 183 | Location: Northwestern PA | Member Since: 06-14-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kirk: I saw that picture in my search, and that is what bothered me, I camp in places where it is 15 to 20 degrees below zero. On a pole so ee space heaters are very much in evidence as well as heat tape.

Chuck

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I wish mine had double insulation or for that matter fiber glass insulation. All mine has is that thin bubble insulation, nothing else. When it is below 30 degrees, the furnace runs almost continuously. when the sun hits the side of the coach in the morning, 30 minutes later it is above 75 degrees inside.

This is the one thing that I m NOT happy about

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kirk & Elise
posted Hide Post
Chuckd,

Have you researched this?

1989 22' Regal

Posts: 183 | Location: Northwestern PA | Member Since: 06-14-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
My understanding of double insulation, in buildings, is a vapor or radiant barrier, which could be foil, plastic, or closed-cell foam, coupled with a thermal barrier, such as fiberglass, open cell foam, or even recycled newspaper in times gone by. I may be wrong, so if someone corrects me I will have learned something today.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
Extensive discussions could insue regarding types of insulation and the amount of insulation in a 1 inch space.

I am not certain what type or amount of insulation was installed in my vehicle, but living in Minnesota seems to be a good testament to the actual experience.

As Ed stated, below 30 degrees, it becomes a defeating experience.

The SUN is key to daytime heat assistance, but if you are dealing-with a sustained 32 degrees, no sun, night-time, or worse-yet; WIND.

Not only is it difficult to stay even moderately warm and comfortable with both furnaces running and possibly space heaters operating, my biggest concern (fear), is the possibility of a water line freezing somewhere.

I try to winterize no later than November 15th and that is assisted by keeping a close eye on the weather forecasts.

Typically, do not come out of winter storage until mid-march, again, watching temperature forecasts, waiting for those above 32 degree days to reenergise the water system.

I agree with Ed ...wish it were warmer!

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
When we replaced our tv and ran new HDMI cables in the ceiling there was no insulation at all. Regency '93

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kirk & Elise
posted Hide Post
I may be incorrect in that the pink insulation in my ceiling was originally placed there by the factory. I have been removing mice nests made of that material (yes, in addition to the AC unit, they got into the ceiling space) and I plan to update my ceiling thread with photos, but for now the camera is out in the MH. So... maybe the critters were hauling it from somewhere beyond the Barth, and I never did have pink insulation originally installed. It isn't everywhere across the ceiling.

1989 22' Regal

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'm beginning to think that insulation was another "option"; TomK's, MWrench's, and my coach were all built around the same time, with differing insulation. Now, I use bubble/foil insulation on the (single-glazed) windows, but two small space heaters kept the coach warm (around 70°) down to 0° with 40kt winds, and cool (~80°) @ 107°.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Ok, this is sort of like an unfathfull pardner, but if you are looking for a cold weather coach, look at triple E. They are made in Canada and are the best insulated coaches I have ever seen.

Now ducking behind my arrow proof wall.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
On my Breakaway I have the double pain windows and even with the solid blinds drawn I can't keep the temperature comfortable without a lot of furnace or A/C use.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
I'm still with Ed on this one.

I plan to replace my bathroom fan this week, so I will let ya'll know what I find...

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post