Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    On Vacation--Different Problems---Need some help
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

On Vacation--Different Problems---Need some help
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted
Guys,

I"m on vacation...650 miles from home and dead in the water. I need pictures of your carbuerator setups...particularly the linkages and other items. I may have to remove the aftermarket fuel injection system from my coach and go back with an Edelbrock 1411 carb in order to get home....

I temporarily have the Kohler problems sorted out...it's starting and working.

BUT HERE IS THE NEW PROBLEM!!

My coach is a 1984 on a P30 chassis. The first owner, sometime around 1986, installed an after market, adjustable fuel injection system by AirSensors, which is no longer in business. Today, in a heavy rain storm, water got up into the MAP sensor and shorted it out. It started running like a fuel starvation issue so I changed out the main fuel filter. It ran fine and then it wouldn't start. I took the top off the TBI unit and fuel was JUST POURING out of the injectors into the intake. I started reading through the AirSensors manual and found out that I could disconnect the MAP sensor and the unit would have a limited drivability mode. It was definately limited. The TBI injectors would only run up to about 1000 rpm...if I pushed more it would bog down and die. I could start out in 1st gear, basically idle up to 1000rpm and shift the Gear Vendors into first-gear-overdrive, then go to straight-second gear and then to second gear overdrive. It was nerve wracking in the middle of Corpus Christi traffic. We were near an Avis so I rented a van for the wife and 3 little boys.....

Now, I'm trying to figure out what to do.

Option 1:
THere is a guy in Arizona who services and rebuilds these MAP sensors. I have a call in to him. If he has one, I may have him FEDEX me one overnite and I could be back running and get home and then take my time to put the Edelbrock on.

Option2: If the guy in Arizona cannot get me a Map sensor, then I have no choice but to remove the TBI system and put on the carburation system to get home. Fortunately, I bought an Edelbrock 1411 carb and adapter plate about 6 months ago for my 454 and I DO HAVE IT WITH ME!!! My preference is to get home and do the conversion there but I've got to do what I've got to do.

SO...WITH ALL THAT SAID.... I really need some pictures of you all's carbeurator setups...even better if anyone has an Edelbrock setup. I'm concerned that in the fuel injection conversion process, they changed around linkages threw away some parts or other things....

My system has a lower pressure fuel pump at the back near the tank. THen about 5 feet from the engine, there is another HIGH pressure fuel pump that actually provides the higher pressures needed for operation of the Throttle-Body-Injection system. I figure I can take out this second high pressure fuel pump, use the same fuel line and reinstall an original fuel pump on the block and then go up to the carb (they removed original mechanical fuel pump and installed a blocking plate.) I might for safety sake, install a fuel pressure regulator since I don't know the pressure of the fuel pump at the back...

I need some pictures of your carbs and any advice guys....

K&E

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Dang, I'm downstate 200 miles from Barth with a bad power steering line in the car. Be running tomorrow but not near my Barth till Wed. But wait...didn't I just post my carb pics in the carb upgrade. I'll go look.

Also, I don't think you'll really need the mechanical pump if the original low pressure electric pump is working, save a little time. I think Bill h has this setup, no problems. My pressure gauge shows no real change before and after starting once the electric is running.

I couldn't find mine but these may help, they show even more linkage stuff.

These were mine:

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5197 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
...didn't I just post my carb pics in the carb upgrade. I'll go look.
Yep, you sure did. Clich Here For The Carb Upgrade

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
Steve and Bill
There is probably not another site on the internet where a member gets any better assistance. Post at 7 pm and reply and pics by 8:18 pm--- the same day!

We all just hope and pray we will not need this!

K&E Good Luck!!!

Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!

I cannot begin to thank you all enough...

I wouldn't be so concerned if it was just myself but having my wife and 3 little boys sure changes things.

I gotta to be thankful because it could have always been worse. We were in a Home Depot parking lot in a fairly safe part of town...not out on the side of the highway. The generator was running so we had power, A/C and of course plenty of food and water. Now changing the fuel filter was fun...it was about 60 degrees and raining as I was crawling under the coach but it could have been 40 degrees and raining or snowing....and thankful that we had books on the system....

I'll update you more as we get it fixed...

Thanks so very, very, very, much,

K&E

FOR FUTURE REFERENCE, I LIVE IN SOUTHERN OKLAHOMA BETWEEN OKC AND TEXAS BORDER ON I-35. ANY BARTHER WITH PROBLEMS, ESPECIALLY ON I-35, I'M REAL CLOSE, I'LL ALWAYS RETURN THE FAVOR TO HELP AND HAVE HOOKUPS AT MY HOME

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
If it's the MAP sensor, it should be a potentiometer - dry it out and it should work. If it shorted (actually, probably grounded), it most likely isn't permanently damaged.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
He might get lucky, maybe not. The MAP sensor in my 87 Chrysler was a piezoelectric attached to a thin diaphragm, extremely sensitive to water. Lee Iacoco (sp?) claimed the K cars were gonna beat the Japanese... the sensors were made in Japan and I replaced 3 of em in 2 years. Went to my friend's junkyard and got several spares. I kept them in the glove box (easily changed in minutes) about every 6 months. Condensation was the culprit, later models mounted them higher on the firewall and changed the hose routing.

I hope he has a potentiometer.. maybe spray with WD40 (or something better if you got it) to help dry out.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5197 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
One thought re the mech fuel pump. If they removed it and covered it with a plate they probably took out the push rod. I believe it just falls out when you remove the pump ??? So you'll need one of those too. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I think you are correct. It falls out when you try to change the pump. head bang Old trick, smear it with grease. Stays up long enough to get the pump in.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

posted Hide Post
Well, here's the latest.

Blessed is all I can say about everything that has happened. Yesterday, I called Bruce Johnson, from Autonomics who rebuilds these MAP sensors (it is a hotwire system?). He had a loaner unit and he FEDEX it to me. I called him, he drove down to the Fedex office and the driver waited as they packed the unit and shipped it priority overnite. I recieved it this morning. It bolted right in. I had to do a little tuning with the main unit and still haven't got the air/fuel ratio correct and the acceleration ratios correct. I still have a lean stumble from a dead stop...but I AM RUNNING! We drove it into Corpus to return the rental minivan and I could tell an increase in power.

Again, I cannot thank you all enough for your help and everything. Nothing worse than being broken down on the road.

Thanks again,

K&E

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K&E:
Nothing worse than being broken down on the road.
And yet, this is how I make my living. mechanic

You're right, it really is a bad deal with a wife and kids in tow. Sorry to hear of your troubles but glad you're up and running.

Sounds like Bruce Johnson's a decent guy. If you do the swap, to a carb, perhaps you can give him your spare/removed parts so he can bail out another poor soul. It would be a shame to toss the stuff in a garbage can when there is someone like Bruce out there watching out for others like yourself.

Or, quiz him on potential problems and perhaps stock up on the stuff that is know to fail on the higher mileage or older units. You might have something decent there, maybe not.

If you have anything to share on what was done you should list it in this post for others to benefit from and include any part numbers. Please plug Bruce's company, his address, phone numbers & website info. We have a decent reach when it comes to Google hits for others to benefit from and there are only so many good guys out there. Thumbs Up

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Bill, you might do it for a living, but I would guess that most, if not all, of your customers see you as 'an angel of mercy'.
Hum

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post