Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    1976 P-30 steering parts
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1976 P-30 steering parts
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted
I received an email from a Barth owner who has a 1976 21 foot coach and needs idler arms. None of the parts houses sell motorhome rated parts. Any thoughts out there?

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I don't have my manual handy for the exact name, but I believe we are talking about the items pictured in the link below. They are the parts that get loose. The OEM numbers are 14013036 and 14013037. At about $200 each for the stock parts, the vastly superior Super Steer tapered roller bearing units are worth the extra money.

http://www.hendersonslineup.com/crank.htm

There is a place that rebuilds them. They used to advertise in the FMCA magazine, but are not in the current issue. Maybe someone with back issues can help. I believe the company was in Iowa. kc_rusty might know, if he is still with

us. I believe he bought front springs from them.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
Are Bell Cranks and idler arms the same.

The ones I saw looked like this.

Problem is they have the part number for P-30 chassis 1976 but it says "except motorhome".

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I don't know where that owner is, but I've found that Tampa Spring can do just about anything.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Pitman & idler arms for P-30, starting w/ '73, are available at: www.millsupply.com

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
Question... are chassis parts for 1 ton P-30 StepVan's interchangeable with P-30 motorhome chassis?

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bowers:
I received an email from a Barth owner who has a 1976 21 foot coach and needs idler arms. None of the parts houses sell motorhome rated parts. Any thoughts out there?

Has he tried a Chevy dealer?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I meant to ask this a long time ago but now that the bell crank subject is up again here goes. The first time I looked at the bell cranks I noticed the passenger side one had only 3 of 4 heads on the connecting bolts. Rather than just immediatly freak out I checked a few other P30 sob' and found them all the same. The top right looks as if it was sheared off. Before I go any further I'll take comments.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
http://barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/...921076461#3921076461

Danny, Mine didn't have a frame hole drilled, so I assume 4 bolts on left and three bolts on right is as-designed....Use of same casting for both bellcrank supports would just be mfg economy I guess.......

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased my Bell Cranks from CW for $275.00 ea.+ 1.00 s/h. Had them installed locally.You need to have the front end aligned to the Bell Crank specs. Made a world of difference in the handeling..........

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bowers:
Question... are chassis parts for 1 ton P-30 StepVan's interchangeable with P-30 motorhome chassis?

The answer is no. The idler arm you show is different than the one on the motorhome chassis.
The confusion is that some parts are interchangeable and others are not. The bell cranks mentioned should be what he is looking for. Any good GMC/Chevy truck dealer will be able to get them. Or better yet go for the Hendersen Super Steer

Posts: 126 | Location: New Bedford, Mass. | Member Since: 07-22-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post