Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    ZipDee Awnings
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

ZipDee Awnings
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Gunner
posted
I've received 3 e-mails asking about replacing broken or weak roller springs. Here goes:
"2. Wondering if this is a do-it-yourself job? I've had a little experience with overhead door springs and it's not an easy fix for the do-it-yourselfer."
"3. Wondering if the spring actually broke or just came loose on one end? If this is the case, I would need instructions on how to re-tension the spring."

It is definitely a do-it-yourself job.
1) Place a 6' step ladder or dependable support beneath the unrolled, unlocked awning roller; rear brace arm not installed into awning. You will need a helper: wife, neighbor, etc., mostly to hand you things.
2) (My spring was in the rear end of roller). Unbolt the rear awning support from the coach. When you remove the pin you will be holding up the roller arm and awning unless it is resting on the ladder, so position the ladder under the roller so it supports it before you unhinge the arm. The awning is in normal "open" position at the front, held in place by the brace arm. Have helper pull the pin while you hold the bottom of the awning support. If the spring is intact it will want to swing around in a circle, pivoting around the roller. Since yours is broken , this should not happen. The force is not great unless you're unprepared for it. If you become uncomfortable at this point just reinstall the arm back on the coach. Now, if the spring is NOT broken, you'll have to unwind the arm Seven full revolutions (that's the official setting - 7 turns of the spring). If there is no tension, unbolt the arm and endcap from the end of the roller and pull the spring out. You should be able to see how this works - it seemed obvious to me. With the spring assembly out, insert the new spring assembly inside the roller, bolt the end back on, and rewind seven full turns. You'll need another ladder to stand on when winding the spring because the arm is rather long and you want to leave it on because it gives much leverage; when the spring gets tight you won't be able to turn it at arm's length over your head.
Now set the arm back in the bracket on the side of the coach, get helper to insert the pin, and put cap nut on the pin. All Done. Check tension by rolling it up; if it's too loose, pull pin and wind another turn.
This is less complicated than it sounds. ZipDee will probably send you instructions (maybe they are on line??) and their photographs do a better job of explaining.

PS: It is NOWHERE NEAR as difficult or dangerous as a garage door spring!! I won't touch one of those, and if I hire it done I hide inside till they're gone.

------------------
"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Gunner,

Thanks to you, I had no problem removing the broken spring. Even did it by myself using two 6' step ladders.
Received the new spring assembly from Zip Dee within a week for $114.
My old original rag is at the tent repair shop for complete restitching with reinforcing.
Should be back in business shortly.
Thanks for your help.
Don

Posts: 130 | Location: Hattiesburg, MS, USA | Member Since: 08-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post