Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    1992 breakaway
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1992 breakaway
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I have a 92 30' with 190 Cummings and a allisin 4 speed trans. Is it typical for these to seem way underpowered with top end speed of around 70 mph ? Has anyone came across a good cure to increase speed or hp ? I'm kinda tired being blown off freeways by big rigs.

Posts: 47 | Location: nevada,tx,collin | Member Since: 09-11-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi BigCat,

Do you want to go faster than 65? and how is that 14 mpg you're probably getting. Seriously, a few have suggested the 190 isn't very powerful, however, I have been told that it is economical, longlasting, and quiet.

Depending on your specific engine, and you are near the cutoff year for the Stinger by Banks Power. http://www.bankspower.com/System.cfm?appid=AD04&sysid=SD08 give them a call and they will tell you if they can help you or not.

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited September 11, 2005).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
I have a 30' 1993 Breakaway with the Banks Power Pack system installed. I've driven it now for three years and have determined that it has almost enough power (I can't even imagine what it's like without one). I have no problem pulling my CRV on any normal interstate highways at highway speeds plus 5 mph. I agree with Dave anything faster is really asking for problems. Comming out of Canada into Vermont theres a Long Long hill and I have no problems going up and can go way to fast comming down. The top highwayspeed is controlled by the rear end gearing and fuel controller. On the flats I can't over speed the engine. It stops at 2450 RPM. It will go about 70+/- mph at this RPM on the flats.

[This message has been edited by eric (edited September 12, 2005).]

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Eric, is yours a 6 speed? What hp was it before the Banks mod?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
Mine's the typical B5.9 with the 4 speed trany. I'd like to try the six speed but I realy don't know what it would buy me. Sometimes I think I'd like to go faster , then I think that with the running gear that this is on 70+/- is fast enough.

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
Eric, what hp was it before the Banks mod?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all that replied as I may have misstated my concern about speed versus acceleration. I'm a new owner of this barth I bought and I noticed driving it accelration makes this 30footer a little underpowered as my first outing I ran it a little hard and got a trans overheat. Of course I stopped and let it cool for couple hours and drove it the remainder of trip which was 1200 miles. These are great rv's and a question for Eric or dave concerning a Banks kit. Would this kit help in acceleration enough to warrant spending the money to install ?
quote:
Originally posted by bigcat:
I have a 92 30' with 190 Cummings and a allisin 4 speed trans. Is it typical for these to seem way underpowered with top end speed of around 70 mph ? Has anyone came across a good cure to increase speed or hp ? I'm kinda tired being blown off freeways by big rigs.

Posts: 47 | Location: nevada,tx,collin | Member Since: 09-11-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bigcat, I don't that Cummins motor can be upgraded much. There was a point in time, in '93, I think, when Cummins changed the engine a bit. The head and manifold and injection systems on those and newer engines can be upgraded with kits and parts from companies like Banks to really improve things without hurting the engine a bit.

Banks products are top quality, and are usually bolt on... any competant shade-tree should be able to install the Banks products no problem.

Check with the sales engineers at Banks for specifics about your engine. Get the S/N of the engine and give them a call... I can tell you, a Banks kit makes a HUGE improvement in both performance and economy, worth every penny. Very well engineered products.

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi Bigcat.

ALL of those I have spoken with who have installed Banks, (or equivalent) equipment have been very happy with the power gains. Banks claims fuel savings which I don't think anyone has found to be accurate. But torque wise I think they are proven products. If you can find an equivalent product you may be dollars ahead, banks can be a little pricey, but they are proven and have sold tons and tons.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The fuel savings are there... in theory! With the BANKS installed it is so much more gratifying to put your foot into it that the fuel savings that COULD be had by driving conservatively fly out the window! Great products.

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey BigCat, I have the same Barth configuration that you do and have experienced the same feelings as well. After 20+ trips I finally noticed that when I use the cruise contol and relax, as the world speeds by me I have finally come to realize that my 30 feet of kitchen,living room,bathroom,and "stuff" is moving along pretty good considering the weight. I'm still in my early 40's and ride a Honda CBR1100 Blackbird on the street and a KTM 525 in the dirt so I think I know what you're feeling when it comes to speed.

------------------
Larry and Heidi from CA

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post