Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Sanitizing water system
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Sanitizing water system
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/13
Picture of Tonka
posted
Okay this is probably gonna be pretty embarrassing.

We finally hooked up the water supply hose to the city water, flushed the winterizing antifreeze from our freshwater system and more or less figured out what the various plumbing valves control. Everything seems to work mostly fine. Have a minor leak at the toilet flush level water supply valve. It's leaking at an "o" ring around the lever activated plunger in the valve body. It looks like we probably need to replace the outer part of the valve body. Also not sure the washer timer is operating quite as it should be. So far mostly so good.

Now for the embarrassing Newb part.
The city water connection appears to be the only opening into the water system and it's pretty close to the same height as the supply line into the fresh water tank. Newb question - Just exactly how do you get a bleach water solution into the freshwater tank to sanitize it?

There has to be something we're missing, does something disconnect or is there some combination of valves that causes water to flow uphill. Tried standing on a chair with a hose, funnel and bottle of bleach/water above my head. No dice but I do now have a nice psychedelic tee shirt and shorts, smell like bleach and the cat won't come anywhere near me. hmm

Thanks,
Newb

Posts: 249 | Location: Minnetonka, MN | Member Since: 01-30-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
There is no easy way as it is set up now. You probably found the little ad on accessory that siphons antifreeze into the lines, but that won't get anything in the tank.

The way I do it is to fill the hose with bleach, carefully attach the end to the RV keeping the other end at the same height. Then kink it and plug the other end into the faucet. This forces the bleach into the tank. Let it sit and flush through a few days later. It doesn't take much bleach.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, wear eye protection too!!!

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I drain the FW tank, then with a stub of hose with a male hose bibb, stick a funnel into the other end and pour 16 oz. of bleach into the tank, then fill it up. I try to do this before a short trip (like to get the oil changed).

Then I run water through all the lines until I smell bleach.

I let that sit for a day, then drain the FW tank and refill. Then I open all the faucets and run water through until the chlorine odor is gone, then drain and refill again.

I do this annually.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
Any warnings from the chemical experts [here] and the use of chlorine [bleach] with Polybutylene Piping [gray tubing] found in many motor homes from this era?

Is it OK to use bleach in a "shock treatment" application, such as described in this post, with a copious flushing to follow?

I have not noticed any specific problems with the piping itself, however, upon inspection of a few of the gaskets or O-rings found inside the gray thumb connectors, I've observed a significant amount of deterioration, to the point of replacing a few. Cracked and crumbling to the point where one connection was leaking a little, which lead-me to inspect the joint in the first place.

Just curious if the shock treatments are safe for polybutylene components(?)

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I doubt that the chlorine would cause detrioration of the pipes, valves or seals, as it's a requirement to sanitize the system with bleach before the first use.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/11
posted Hide Post
On our 1989 25' Regal with rear bath, the water tank was located under the closet in the bathroom. The tank could be accessed by lifting the closet floor. There was an opening in the top of the tank, about 3" to 4" in diameter, covered as I recall with a plastic disk, gasket and screws. Worked great for adding liquid bleach or sanitizing tablets. Don't know if this was common practice for Barth, but it might be worth checking.

Bill Beard
Barth Owner Emeritus (three times)

Bill Beard
Barth Owner Emeritus (three times)
1978 24' 454 Chevy
1988 Regal 28' 454 Chevy
1989 Regal 25' 454 Chevy

Posts: 25 | Location: Evansville, IN | Member Since: 11-15-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
My 1984 35 Royale has dual water tanks under each of the rear twins. On the top of each tank is a 3 or 4 inch opening that will screw open and I put in bleach....drive around and slosh it well and run through all the lines until I smell bleach and also through the hot water lines. Seems to clean it well.

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/13
Picture of Tonka
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone,

We apparently have a closed system on our Monarch. The only openings anywhere in the FW tank that I can see are:

1. City water supply line in
2. FW line out to the pump
3. Overflow
4. Low point drain

There could be a cap on the top but if there is, it's covered with fiber board and strapped down as part of the tank mounting system.

We were approaching it from the wrong angle by trying to get the bleach water solution directly into the tank. Corey's approach of adding it to the FW hose is the ticket. We have seventy five feet of FW hose starting at the downstairs laundry tub and running out our tuck-under garage to the RV. There's plenty of capacity in the dry hose for 14 to 16 oz of bleach and both attachment points are well up off the ground. It'll be simple and work slick.

Thanks everyone. This site and all the smart, experienced and helpful people are teriffic.

Wally

Posts: 249 | Location: Minnetonka, MN | Member Since: 01-30-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
something like this could be used to pump sanitizer into the tank. It is rather pricey.
http://www.handpumps.com/guzzler400H.htm
First I was thinking of something that syphons, like they sell to infuse weed killer into a garden spray nozzle or like the gadget for draining a water bed by running water.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
I do what Corey says 'cause the only way into the fw tanks is via the city water hook-up. About a quarter cup of pool chlorine will do it.
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I haven't used bleach in years, but when I did, I made up a short length of 6 inch plastic pipe (irrigation, I think) with garden hose fittings on each end. I connected it to the coach with a short hose, poured in the bleach, connected the supply hose and filled the tank a little bit. Then I ran the strong solution through the plumbing with the pump until bleach could be smelled at each outlet.

This was a fiver that sat in 110+ heat, and developed bad stuff growing in the pipes more than in the tank.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
We have used two methods for getting chlorine into the system
1/ attach the hose to the Barth and pour the chorine into the hose, then attach hose to water supply (solution is pushed into Barth)
2/ on one of our freshwater tanks there is an extra over flow outlet which has a connection for a hose-- this can be used to funnel chlorine into the tanks (can also use this location to add chlorine via the hose method (above))

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted Hide Post
I tried the push method. That was a chore single handed. Glad not something to do often. I was looking at the water tank. IT has three drains at the bottom. You would have thought they would have put a plug towards the top to facilitate this process.

Tom Taylor
94 Breakaway

Posts: 306 | Location: Jacksonville FL | Member Since: 05-21-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post