Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    454 Headers
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

454 Headers
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted
http://s687.photobucket.com/al.../vv240/barth_upload/

While working on my Barth installing new plugs, wires, distributor, plugging the ole exhaust air injection tubes. I got a real close look at my exhaust manifold and found these cracks pictured is the #8 cylinder there are also cracks on the #2, #3 and #5 cylinder exhaust port. All cracks are in the center of the welds.

So I am looking for advice on what I should do. I would assume headers if so what Brand and Model number would be your recommendation. My Barth is the 1989 Chassis with duel exhaust.

Thanks

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I have Thorley headers on mine. They were installed long before I got it. (10 years ago) They are Model 303Y. According to some sources, these fit all 454 years. Others list a Model 306Y Tri-Y set for 87 on.

They fit well, plenty of clearance all around (they should be easy to fit in and install.) I think they have a lifetime warranty also.

I can't say much about performance since I never ran the stock manifolds. Good luck with your project.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5196 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Have Thorleys on my 85 Regal/454. Used copper manifold gaskets as well. No problems.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks,

Thorleys seem to be the most popular choice, I can get Thorleys from Summit Racing 306Y1-C however the estimated ship date is 11/12. I can get a set of Headman Headers shipped right away about half the cost $329.00 compared to $775.00 but you get what you pay for. If Thorleys are that much better I would rather pay the extra cost, well not really but I will.

Thorleys come with the crossover pipes for catalytic converter which I don't need, it would be nice to get them without since I have dual exhaust.

Now I'll have to work on getting the old manifold bolts out, that will be the fun part perhaps I'll get my wife to do that.

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom & Loraine:

Thorleys seem to be the most popular choice,

Do a Thorley search of this site to get opinions.

I use them on my Barth, and have used them on several vehicles for 20 years, at least. My 454 pickup will get them soon.

quote:
I can get Thorleys from Summit Racing 306Y1-C however the estimated ship date is 11/12.

Get a number from Thorley for a set without the Y pipe.

quote:
I can get a set of Headman Headers shipped right away about half the cost $329.00 compared to $775.00 but you get what you pay for.

What are the tube diameters and lengths of the Hedmans? What is the collector diameter and length of the Hedmans? Do they offer reducers to match your exhaust pipes? Do they offer ceramic coating or a lifetime guarantee? Are Hedmans equal-length or Tri Wye?

quote:

Thorleys come with the crossover pipes for catalytic converter which I don't need, it would be nice to get them without since I have dual exhaust.

Since you already have dual exhausts, the 303y series are likely to match up on your coach. On mine, I just cut the exhaust pipes and use band clamps to connect them. Super simple. Tell me how far apart your exhaust pipes are and I will crawl underneath and get my Thorley 303Y measurement.

Aside from the convenience factor, dual exhausts allow you to use either an H or and X pipe. I have used both, and prefer the X pipe. An X pipe allows you to use a free flowing muffler with less noise than straight duals or an H pipe. This is particularly important if you use side dumps and drive with the window open.

My part numbers might not be correct for your year, so call Thorley and see what they have to say. Yours seems a little unusual to have duals for that year, but this stuff is all over the map. Perhaps yours was changed from single to duals by a PO.

quote:
Now I'll have to work on getting the old manifold bolts out, that will be the fun part perhaps I'll get my wife to do that.

Pray. Shoot the bolts twice a day with PB Blaster and pray. Ask around for the oldest, saltiest welder in your county. He might be good enough to burn out a broken-off stud. Bop over to Hickory Corners and ask some of the old guys there. Get to know tractor restorers. Ask around about the closest ELOX or EDM machine.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tell me how far apart your exhaust pipes are and I will crawl underneath and get my Thorley 303Y measurement.

I have a 24" center on the duals, it is a true dual system with no connector pipe between them. I don't know if that is good or bad. The Coach was bought with the duals and unfortunately I don't have any data on any maintenance done on this unit.

What are the tube diameters and lengths of the Hedmans? What is the collector diameter and length of the Hedmans? Do they offer reducers to match your exhaust pipes? Do they offer ceramic coating or a lifetime guarantee? Are Hedmans equal-length or Tri Wye?
Great questions the headers did not show any accessories, I'm going to go with the Thorleys for sure. I will contact Thorley and explain exactly what my application is however should I have a connection before the mufflers on the duals or perhaps go with your x-pipe?

Pray. Shoot the bolts twice a day with PB Blaster and pray.

haha, Yeah a couple Our Fathers and a hand full or two of Hail Marys and PB Blaster for sure and I'll see what happens. Yeah it'll be a small miracle that any of them come out.

Thanks

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
I also have headers on mine....I don't what brand but I think they were part of the Banks Power Pak system that is on it.

One other thing, you might think about taking off the GM starter and put on a ministarter. The big GM starter is really hard to maneuver in and around the headers and it sure doesn't like the extra heat....I never could get it off and around them....only my mechanic could after a lot of work.... I think he knew a few more choice words than I did....

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K&E:

One other thing, you might think about taking off the GM starter and put on a ministarter. The big GM starter is really hard to maneuver in and around the headers and it sure doesn't like the extra heat....I never could get it off and around them....only my mechanic could after a lot of work.... I think he knew a few more choice words than I did....

Yeah, I like them, too. I don't recall much trouble with the stock GM starter and my Thorleys, but I did put on a GM mini starter. Being smaller, it is farther away from the header heat and uses less juice to crank the engine. I can actually start the 502 with the battery from my BMW K75.

There are some good after market starters out there, but I went GM for the ability to get parts more easily if there is a problem.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Think Thorley makes both carbon steel headers and alloy steel headers. Check for price on both. Mine are not ceramic coated but if I were buying them new, I'd probably have it done.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom & Loraine:
quote:
Tell me how far apart your exhaust pipes are and I will crawl underneath and get my Thorley 303Y measurement.

I have a 24" center on the duals,

My Thorley collectors and the OEM dual exhaust pipes are 22" apart, center to center.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
I puchaced Headman ceramic coated for our Barth. Have not installed yet. 3/8" flange plate, 14ga tubes. I'm sure Thorleys will get you a bit more torque, I am for the most part a flat lander. and expect the Headmans to do the job just fine.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Either Thorley or Bank$ or Hedman will be better than stock. Both in power, torque, lack of cracking, and less heat soak after shutdown.

Bank$, being stainless, are rust-free, as are the ceramic-coated other offerings. The nickel-plated Thorleys will rust, but not badly, and are lifetime guaranteed. Had ceramic coated Thorleys been available 12 years ago, I would have bought them.

I like the 3/8 flange that Bank$ and Hedmen have, but the 5/16" Thorleys haven't leaked for me on 3 P30s.