Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    What is it?
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

What is it?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com12/10
Picture of Gerald
posted
On my DP I have a vent on the rear exterior bottom by the engine compartment. Behind it is some sort of cooler/radiator that has two electric fans on it. The lines go toward the front. About half way up the coach these lines have a garden hose type shut off valve. Can some one tell me what this is and what the valve does. Does it need to be serviced somehow? It looks pretty difficult to get to. Thanks in advance for the help.

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Posts: 227 | Location: Aberdeen, So. Dak. | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Pictures?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Rear cabin heater???? Is there a AUX heater switch on the dash?? Does it energize the fans??

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
There is no switch on the dash that I can see. The pic with the fins in the circular hole is from the bottom looking up

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Posts: 227 | Location: Aberdeen, So. Dak. | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
As the radiator is outdoors, it won't be a heater. More likely it it the radiator for the dash air. In fact, I'm pretty sure I recognize A.R.A. as a supplier of aftermarket A/C in the old days.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
ARA auto airconditioner condenser unit for dash air, it looks like. sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
Thanks Corey and Sky, I can't seem to get the dash air to turn on. It is stuck on defrost so I don't really know if it is working. I read that these dash controls are from Dodge/Chrysler. Are they run by vacuum? The large vent by the frt door passenger side by the Dom. off/on switch, doesn't seem to open no matter what I press. But if I push on it, it opens. But again I can't get anything through the dash vents, only defrost. Thanks again..Gerald

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
On our Breakaway there is a vacuum genertor beside the brake resievor. This goes to a vacuum accumulator and then to the heater controls. No vacuum no controls.

I have the same radiator on the side and have not figured out what it is for, but believe it was a transmission oil cooler that is no longer being used.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/11
Picture of Scott and Debbie
posted Hide Post
on the round bottle vacuum accumulator in the generator compartment, on the fire wall there should be 2 hoses coming from the vacuum venturi in the manifold next to the bottle.
one creates the vacuum, the other shuts the venturi when enough vacuum is created in the bottle. what i have found is that if you take your finger and block the venture exit on the venturi output, it will cause the one of the vacuum lines to pop off the accumulator.
If i had to guess that might be what has happen. you might have an extra vacuum line hanging from the venturi make sure it has vacuum. plug it back into the open port on the accumulator.

Posts: 46 | Location: virginia Beach va | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help everyone. It may be a vacuum problem. The lines are hooked up to the vacuum bottle (2 lines) but there is a third line that comes from the the round silver thing (vacuum generator?) On this silver generator there are three ports, one points towards the firewall, one points towards the Koehler generator, and one points straight forward. The one that points towards the firewall is the one that is disconnected. It was getting dark so I could not see very well. I will start it up in the morning and see if I can feel any vacuum from this hose.. then see if I can find where it should attach.
Is it possible that this disconnected hose needs to be blocked off?

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Corey: For some reason your posts are cut off on the right side. Cant read total post..........

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carlflack:
Corey: For some reason your posts are cut off on the right side. Cant read total post..........
Better now? I just redid his time/temp banners to stack them. If you can read them now, maybe it has to do with that? Computer

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Gerald, I'd guess you have 2 issues:

1. A/C and/or heater heat exchangers not getting fluids in the proper pressure: Fix one, then do the other. Isolating the problems make them easier (less difficult?) to fix.

2. Dash HVAC airflow routing not working: (Typically, these are Chrysler components, operated by vacuum,the latter either generated by a vacuum pump or ejectors powered from the engine air system). I don't like anything that can cause leakage from the engine air compressor, as ejectors can (they take air from the brakes and transmission shifter). I'd recommend replacing the HVAC vacuum ejectors with an electric pump.

Anyway, as I mentioned, the drill is to isolate each component and test/fix it.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gerald, There should be 3 lines total to the accumulator. 1 to the vacuum controls on dash, and 2 to the vacuum venturi. the vacuum venturi
should have 3 barbs. 1 should be a exhaust while running until enough vacuum is present in bottle.
1 should be to the bottle providing vacuum to bottle. and 1 should be from the bottle back to the venturi to provide vacuum the the venturi to close when enough vacuum is present.

Posts: 46 | Location: virginia Beach va | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gerald I wanted to put in this disclaimer. I'm not looking at my coach and going by memory.
I think that there is a picture of the venture in the improvments section of the web site. it was written by mwrench if i remember right. subject was electric vacuum pumps or air leaks.
hope this helps,
scott