Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Cavitation
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Cavitation
 Login now/Join our community

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted
Back when I sold boats, I used to always correct people that confused cavitation with ventilation. When the prop sucks air from above the water line, you are ventilating the prop. When you look at an aluminum prop and it is all pitted, it is likely due to cavitation. Cavitation is the explosive force of H2O changing to a gaseous state and back due to changing pressure. In the props case, the spinning of the prop creates this differing pressure.

So what does this have to do with RVs you ask? Diesels have an issue internally, in the cooling system, with cavitation too. How you ask? Read this article and you will be an expert:

http://www.oilburners.net/arti...cavitationartic.html

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Very enlightening! So do you use these products? When some talk water wetter and some other products is this a similar product? You guys are some of the most well versed in the broadest range of things to keep our Barth's running. When I quit farming I have forgotten a lot but we never did a lot of the things with our truck and tractors you guys talk about on a regular basis. I'm working on what I can as I can and learn something from you all everyday reading the posts. Lots of times I don't have to ask questions because others do. Thanks Thumbs Up

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dana,

I think the secret is to use the coolant/filter specifically designed for your engine. The manufacturers spec certain coolants with properties designed to combat the cavitation problem. My old 8.3 Cummins in the Barth had a specific coolant filter that had a lubricant built in that would slowly dissipate into the coolant adding protection.

For a story of woe in coolant flushing/radiator rodding, read this tale (warning, it goes on and on).

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgr...owthread.php?t=10880

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I haven't read the article yet, but this is why you would never use water alone. The explosion of the air bubbles against a hot surface will cause massive pitting in the liner sleeve.

If you haven't had the contents of your coolant checked for depletion, it might be a good time to have a sample drawn or to flush and refill your system with the extended fill coolant.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
I have seen large boat / ship props with incredible burn holes in them. It's hard to believe this can be caused by water!

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The most amazing thing with diesels, is the high compression of the diesel ignition is enough to expand the cylinder like a balloon. This happens so rapidly, the coolant is depressurized into gas if not treated along the cylinder wall. This explosion can erode iron.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you haven't had the contents of your coolant checked for depletion, it might be a good time to have a sample drawn or to flush and refill your system with the extended fill coolant.

It is in my plan.

quote:
I think the secret is to use the coolant/filter specifically designed for your engine. The manufacturers spec certain coolants with properties designed to combat the cavitation problem. My old 8.3 Cummins in the Barth had a specific coolant filter that had a lubricant built in that would slowly dissipate into the coolant adding protection.

I'd imagine there could have been mixing and other offenses to the cooling system. I'll have to look up what the recommendations for the 5.9 are before I flush it. I take installing a filtering system is a good idea.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:

cavitation ......... and yet another concern and expense for casual diesel users, just wondering. Confused

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
cavitation ......... and yet another concern and expense for casual diesel users, just wondering.

It's no real expense, you just need to use the right stuff. Don't use the right stuff, yup, big expense!

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Normally not of much concern for not sleeved engines such as the 5.9B. However, that is what Ford also thought back in the days of the 6.9 and 7.3 Navistar engines. The ended up replacing a large number of engines when the cylinders started leaking.

Cummins says just use a 50/50 mixture in the 5.9B, although I still use a wetting agent.

The 8.3C and all others that use replacable liners require the wetting agents. Cummins makes it easy with a replacable filter.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
You can go by any Cummins dealer and purchase a strip and dip the coolant yourself. There is a comparison chart on the back of the envelope to identify your coolant's current condition which also tells you how much SCA to add. It is Fleetguard (Cummins)part number CC2602B and are about $2.00. Beware that the coolant filters are available in different amounts of DCA and some with zero. Most places usually stock the 2 unit part number, but 2 units may not be what you need, check it first!

Concurring with Bill N.Y., I recommend that you flush the system and refill it with "Final Charge" (Texaco Brand) or "Rotella Exended Life" (Shell Brand)organic based coolant which has a service life of 6 years and requires NO additives except for a "Booster" at 3 years. It is a very distinct RED color and you can buy almost anywhere now. All of the new diesel motorhome chassis come with this stuff now.

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.