Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    When do you check oil
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

When do you check oil
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted
When is the best time to check the oil in a 454 or 460? Cold, hot or inbetween. I had always checked mine at a rest stop so it would be hot. But, then I read somewhere to check it first think in the morning.

Same question on coolant. Should it be on the line when it is cold or hot??

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Oil can be checked any time the engine has sat a while. The oil needs a few minutes to run down from above. Should be on level ground.

Most coolant reservoirs should have a cold and a hot mark. I check mine cold by checking for water in the rad neck itself.

Check the differential once a year. A fellow at the AZ rally had his diff run dry and start a fire. The shop that he paid to check all fluids ate it big time.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
I thought that was what the light on the dash was for, when the 'OIL' light comes on, you add oil.

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Jack, you're close on the "oil" light.

Some later Mercedes have a computer that monitors miles, speed, duty cycles, temp, etc, and tells you when to change the oil.

My Jag has all the electronics. GPS, etc. When the "oil" light comes on, it dials a tow truck, a rental car company, arranges an engine replacement and bills your credit card or arranges a loan with the car as collateral. Don't even ask how much.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Based on my employee's use of company vehicles, it's when the lifters start rattling or trade-in time, whichever comes first........

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Bill H. you are indeed an extraordinary person. Just when I think you are one of the left brained mathematics/engineering wizards, you spring forth with Right brained creativity. Kind of like Clint Eastwood and jazz. By the way, I think you can get all that Jaguar stuff on a Saturn now.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/08
posted Hide Post
I'm a funny person about the oil check. I check before starting and check it "HOT" both way. I like it on full line hot,over full cold. When checking Rad go by tank marking,should be higher than cold mark on tank if "HOT" or even with "HOT" mark,cold on the cold line,I add when needed when it cold.

------------------
Jay&Shelby 95 Regency 34ft. 300 hp.

Posts: 134 | Location: Harriman,Tn.U.S.A. | Member Since: 01-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post