Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    purchased sob
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

purchased sob
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I purchased a Revcon flatnose 29' motorhome with tandem rear axles (1977)- the only year revcon made flatnoses with tandems. I thank Bill H as well as Dave for their valuable knowledge. The coach rides on 6 9.5r16.5 e-rated tires front middle and back(and spare) 3190lbs/tire rating. Just as Bill and Dave said: Tandem axles are great for the stabiliy of the coach, whether a Deere, P-30, or Revcon. I wanted to take my son and his boy scout buddies camping- but my deteriorating health prevents me from outdoor camping. I craved Linda and Dave's 33 but it would not fit in my driveway and it's price did not currently fit my wallet, however, I feel that coach is an excellant value and will make someone very happy. At least my coach is aluminum so I don't feel that I'm as much of a barth traitor as Ron (you gotta love that Ron) If my health improves and am able to work again, a 30 foot breakaway is still my dream coach. Best to all, Jeff

Posts: 26 | Location: Costa Mesa,California,USA | Member Since: 09-21-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Jeff. I have always liked Revcons. They are kinda like Barths in that their owners love them for the classics they are. Does yours have the Olds drivetrain?

Got any pictures?

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill: Our digital camera was left at my inlaws house in the middle of the avocado/wine country in Temecula, will post pictures in a few weeks when we see them again. Drivetrain is olds 455/ turbo hydramatic 425 (stolen frm toronado fame) Front suspension is toronado with beefed up control arms. Rear is simple but effective 5 leaf springs Thre are 3 sets of brakes , front disc and big drums in middle and tag axles these are ford truck tire drums. Even though the olds is an orphan engine, it has excellent low end torque due to long stroke. Thanks to multiplicty of GM motorhomes, most parts are available. Do I think that it is of equal build quality of more current mid eighties barth motorhomes? Not quite, but it has it's advantages and disadvantages like any coach. It is rear bath with twin beds as well as sofabed and dinette up front. It seats three comfortably up front on a platform above the engine and transaxle. Gvwr is 12,500 with wet weight with fuel, water and empty grey/black water tanks of 10,700. I used to own a 1972 26' flatnose revcon and it regularly got 10 mpg at 60-65moph. I'm expecting about 1 mpg lower due to added weight of longer model. Thanks for inquiring and I will always look forward to viewing and contributing to this website-revcon or not. Best to all!-Jeff

Posts: 26 | Location: Costa Mesa,California,USA | Member Since: 09-21-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
The Olds 455 is a great tow engine. I towed my ski boat for years with a couple. The 455 really responds to a 204/214 cam and a Performer intake. My ski buddies always fell behind going eastbound up Chiriaco Summit.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post