Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Cooling system additive
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Cooling system additive
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
Just before this trip we are on now I used a product called RMI, a cooling system additive that is supposed to be a cleaner, lubricant and wetter.

I have never seen such an improvement in temperature reduction and control. We are in West Texas and the outside temps have been in the 90s, I don't see the engine temp going over 185 on a steady 70 MPH. On I5 up the Grape Vine, doing a flat out 45 MPH, the temperature got to 195 and never has been over 195 the entire trip. Further, once a hard pull is finished, the engine temperature settles back to 180 much much faster. If left to idle, the temperature will settle just a bit below 180.

Driving 70 MPH at higher altitudes have always been cause for the engine temperature to go to near 200 and maybe a bit higher if the outside ambient is over 85. Now unless I am going up a grade, the temperature stays at 180-185.

I am pleased with this product and what it has done!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Did you use a cooling system cleaner prior to this?

How do you think it compares to Red Line Water Wetter?

Did you consider WW in choosing RMI?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Ed: A bit pricey at $99.00 a gallon + S/H but if it works it's cheap at half the price........

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was not thinking about WW when I choose RMI, I was looking for a lubricant and cleaner and anti corrosive. The WW seems to be a bonus feature.

I only used a small bottle of RMI added to the coolant 50/50 mixture. I think that bottle cost me <$15.00.

I used Red Line for years in my race cars but only used that with water not anti-freeze mixture.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:

I used Red Line for years in my race cars but only used that with water not anti-freeze mixture.

Yeah, that is what I run except in deepest coldest winter, when I do the anti-freeze thing.

Just like back in the '50s. Summer and winter coolants. Smiler

Since RMI seems to be both a cleaner and a surfactant, I wonder if your cooling improvement reflected your system's need for cleaning or if if the RMI did the surfactant thing, eliminating steam pockets, etc.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't say what it is doing but the radiator is new as are all the hoses Thermostat etc. There could have been a lot of crud in the engine system/oil cooler/block. It will be interesting to see what is left in the overflow tank after this trip.

Today is another good example. 96 degrees outside, 70 MPH, 180 degrees steady. When I got to San Antonio, we had a bit of traffic and at reduced speeds, the temperature dropped abit lower and held until I got back up to cruise.

Oil pressure is up at least 5 lbs. I liked it!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Ed: Where did you get the small bottle?.......

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com12/10
Picture of Gerald
posted Hide Post
Just ordered 8 oz. RMI-25 from Amazon. $9.95 + $5.00 shipping

1986 Barth Regal SE
34 foot tag - 454 Chevy
8610 3363 34TFPOB

Posts: 227 | Location: Aberdeen, So. Dak. | Member Since: 09-25-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
RE: consider WW in choosing RMI?

OK...what is WW??

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Smiley:
RE: consider WW in choosing RMI?

OK...what is WW??

sorry, it is Red Line Water Wetter

RMI-25 appears to offer similar cleaning properties as well as the surfactant characteristics of WW.

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
would Dieselwaterwetter

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=75&pcid=10

be of any use in my 82 MCC?

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post