Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Wiper switch wiring
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Wiper switch wiring
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/16
Picture of Quinn
posted
Something that's driving me nuts is that the left wiper switch controls the right wiper and the right wiper switch controls the left wiper on my Barth.

I'm hoping that someone didn't reverse the switches themselves, but instead it's a wiring problem somewhere. I tried tracing wires in the dash, but it's quite a challenge, especially with 99% of the spaghetti being red.

It may be wishful thinking, but is there a place where these wires connect (ahead of the motors) where I could just switch them to fix the problem?

I looked at one of the manuals in the document section on Barthmobile, and the fuse layout showed two wiper connectors, but when I went and checked mine there was only one at the fuses.

Quinn

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Strange… someone must have reversed the wires between the switches and the motors. The wipers do have single feed, then split at the switches.

I'm not sure if your 90 has a similar panel. Mine was fairly easy to remove. Remove screws, it will tilt forward a bit.

On mine it looks like the switches have harnesses and there are some connectors (center of photo) I think they are for the wipers. Follow the wires from the switch… you should be able to swap plugs there.

Looks like someone "serviced" the panel and wired them backwards. Good luck. mechanic

BTW: thanks for the info on the RayLine lights. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dr. bart
posted Hide Post
On my breakaway, there is a access panel on top of the dash... So you don't have to remove the dash panel... Don't know if regals have that access panel...

Posts: 108 | Location: harrisonburg va | Member Since: 06-14-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies!

Steve, it would be easy to remove the panel, but unfortunately mine has cracked corners at the screws, which it seems is quite common from other posts. I can't think of a way to fix those corners without removing the panel entirely, which would entail taking everything out of the panel, a job that I imagine I might be able to do, but don't have the time for right now.

Dr. Bart, I do have that access panel on the top, but the wiper switches are too far to the driver's side to see or reach.

I'll post a photo of the wiring through the access panel, maybe one of you will be able to recognize something I could try.

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
unfortunately mine has cracked corners at the screws

They can be repaired with styrene solvent cement (Tenax or 50-50% acetone-MEK) by loosening the screws to take the pressure off. Gripping the corners to the original shape, brush the cement onto the cracks; capillary action will draw it into the seam. Continue gripping for about a minute.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks like someone "serviced" the panel and wired them backwards.

But, Steve, when he had the back of the panel in front of him, making connections, he put the wires for the right wiper on the right and the wires for the left wiper on the left Click

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the right side and the other right side… hmm

I glued my cracked corners. I also switched the screws to panhead with thin washers to cover the holes a bit more.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
switched the screws to panhead with thin washers to cover the holes a bit more.

oval head screws on finish washers are nice.
http://www.jamestowndistributo...zRbVG-0nJxoCAN3w_wcB

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
I tried that too, and when they cracked again I just took it apart and had an aluminum replacement made, got it powder coated satin black and the problem was permanently solved. It is a job, but in my opinion, worth the effort and cost.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
Those finish washers look nice and might take a little stress off.

I'd love to just replace both of them (the console panel has cracked corners and the climate controls have let loose on one side) with custom made aluminum panels. I wonder if polished aluminum would have too much glare...

Tom, do you have any pics of yours?

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
"I wonder if polished aluminum would have too much glare..."
what would look better than polished surface, IMHO, would be engine turning

http://www.workingpsychology.c...rsions/jeweling.html
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/...num-Panels,5390.html
http://weldingweb.com/showthre...-finish-on-stainless